banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly is the resonance switch on the Pickup Booster? How does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is the resonance switch on the Pickup Booster? How does it work?

So how, exactly, does the switch on the SD Pickup Booster lower the resonant frequency of your pickups? Is it just a capacitor thing, or is there more going on?

Re: What exactly is the resonance switch on the Pickup Booster? How does it work?

From the schematic I can find on the internet, yes, it adds more and more capacitance to ground to the input signal.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Re: What exactly is the resonance switch on the Pickup Booster? How does it work?

It actually does work- it will make single coils a little thicker to sound more like humbuckers (along with the added gain boost).
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yes, a very clever circuit.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I absolutely love my SFX-01. It will always be the first thing in my pedal chain. But . . . I don't like that switch. Just seems to roll off "tone". The exact opposite of why I bought it. Never use it. My 2-cents worth. YMMV.

Comment

So a handy fella could build a passive box that would accomplish the same tonal shift? Just, you know, hypothetically...

Comment

Not exactly the same, but if you built a box with a 12-position rotary switch with different value caps and a variable resistance you could simulate different cable lengths/capacitances which will shift and alter the resonant peak of your pickups. (Has to be first in line obviously)
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That is what i was thinking, only with a toggle. A couple options seems like plenty, and I have a passive volume box I am not using anymore.
                I am guessing really low values, like .0015 ish? No idea on the resister values though. Or could I just use the 500k pot that is already in there rewired to function as a tone control?

Comment

Working...
                X