BOSS SD-1, kind of disappointed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOSS SD-1, kind of disappointed.

Bought a used one yesterday. Can't remember ever plugging into one, but have read a lot of people loving them. Even seemed to sound good on videos/demos. I plug in and sounds super thin and boxy. Not what I was expecting at all. Using Strat/'59 Bridge(HB)/Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. Have tried through clean and as a boost through a dirtier setting. My BD-2 sounds like a $300 boutique pedal next to this thing.

What gives? Anyone else not really dig the SD-1?

Re: BOSS SD-1, kind of disappointed.

Have you tried using the BD-2 as your rhythm sound and the SD-1 into it as a solo boost?

What is your midrange setting on your amp? People really like it into the Blackface tone circuit with the scooped mids. If you are really bringing them back in with the amp’s midrange control, I can see the SD-1 being boxy.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I think the SD-1 was everyone's first pedal. I don't even remember what happened to mine.

I thought this video was helpful

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

It’s not too far removed from at ts9 electrically, it’s eq’d nearly identically. Most of the difference relies on the asymmetric clipping circuit which will make second order harmonics more noticeable, especially the 2nd. Other than that it should sound pretty close to a ts9

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
          I think the SD-1 was everyone's first pedal. I don't even remember what happened to mine.
          I thought that was DS-1. Could be I didn't know how to use it, but I recall it to be worst, really lifeless and artificial sounding.

I traded it for a few beers.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I have a modded one that is great, stock they are pretty boring.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Have you tried using the BD-2 as your rhythm sound and the SD-1 into it as a solo boost?
              Yes, and it sounds ok that way. Was just hoping it would be a really good stand alone pedal.

Comment

The SD1 sucks as a standalone, for the same reasons a TS9 does. Their thing is to push dirty tubes further.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I run an old SD-1 in front of a modded MT-2 I to a SS amp. It can actually put hair on the Metalzone. In front of a clean amp, well, it's going to depend on how loud you run it. In front of a tube amp on breakup, it's in it's own. Or in front of a treble boost into a tube pre-amp section.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

The SD-1 needs to be dialed in correctly for your tone. But that doesn't mean it's right for you. Since you got it I say fool around with it. Go outside your tonal box and experiment with different settings then your comfortable. Some guys get into a tone rut but thinking that add or removing a certain tone will not sound right. Sometimes it's exactly what you need and it may inspire you to write something you may not have without it.
                    I tried 3 times with the TS-9 and never get it to work out for me. It just doesn't shape into my tone well. I use the tc electronics Spark Booster and man that pedal sounds like a mini amp preamp. WOW is it fantastic. It's everything I ever wanted out of the Ibanez.
                    Last edited by mantis; 12-24-2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

I've messed with it a few times yesterday. Even boosted and cut some frequencies with an MXR-10, which got it closer to likable.

Went ahead and ordered a Monte Allums mod kit this morning.

Comment

There is a reason there are SD-1's and TS-9's.

I don't hate the SD-1 - too many people love them. But I'm a TS-9 guy.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I think the SD-1 belongs with the Tube Screamer family in that they work better as boosts in front of an amp that's at least on the edge of breakup. If you're using it in front a completely clean amp, then yeah, it's going to cut a ton of bass and have this weird half clean signal with some overdrive in the background.

Comment

Suitable for boosting a thick sounding high gain tube amp. But not even close the most suited pedal for that application...
                            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

plug one into any cranked up tweed fender or any early marshall and see if you feel the same way.
                              Last edited by Chickenwings; 12-30-2017, 05:24 PM.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X