Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss ES-8

Hello everyone,
    Yep I finally got one to replace my ES-5. The ES-5 is a fantastic Switcher I just out grew it and I didn't want to share loops anymore. You also loose a Loop when you want to use the 4 cable method. Loop 3 is what I used for this so I only had loop 1-2 for things in front of my amp and Loop 4-5 for Effects loop effects.

So I also built my own custom pedal board years and years ago and it worked great up until now. The ES-8 is larger then the ES-5 and I need now to consider either buying a new board or building one.
    I use Planet Waves Pedal kit cables so I build my own but the issue is they are all angled ended. So i need a space for the cables to go down then back up tot he pedals.

Has anyone built their own board for a Switcher like the ES-8 ? I'd love to see how you did it. I got ideas but would like to see what you guys have done.

Going to the ES-8 is gonna be a project.

Re: Boss ES-8

I just used a Pedaltrain Pro.

Ideally you’d do one with a second tier that overlaps the connection area so the pedals are effectively right on top of the jack area. Look at Schmidt Array for inspiration.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Boss ES-8

Im in the middle of that project as we speak. My switcher is a Musicomlab unit though. Similar enough. I incorporated a system similar to what pedaltrain uses with the slats.

This is its first incarnation at 36”. I’ve since cut it down to 28”
      Last edited by Gtrjunior; 02-07-2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Thats a nice board your building there.
        What I would do is lose one of those rows meaning the first one. Mount the switcher in the bottom and have the power supply in there was well in the back. Mount all other pedals that make sense on the top shelf.
        I would put a volume and tuner down below next to the switcher. All cables could be hidden. I'd like to see your final results on your board.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          I just used a Pedaltrain Pro.

Ideally you’d do one with a second tier that overlaps the connection area so the pedals are effectively right on top of the jack area. Look at Schmidt Array for inspiration.
          I looked at those Schmidt boards and man they are killer but really expensive. I don't know how far I want to go with effects as when you start looking at what your spending it's starts to get out of hand quick.

Comment

Boss ES-8

Originally posted by mantis View Post
            Thats a nice board your building there.
            What I would do is lose one of those rows meaning the first one. Mount the switcher in the bottom and have the power supply in there was well in the back. Mount all other pedals that make sense on the top shelf.
            I would put a volume and tuner down below next to the switcher. All cables could be hidden. I'd like to see your final results on your board.
            Thanks!
            My idea was to put the power supply inside the board as well as my power strip etc...the only thing I was going to keep on top (besides the pedals) was the patch cables...in the event you get to a gig and have to troubleshoot, it’s much easier to not have to trace the patch cables underneath the board.

I was also going to put the switcher on the bottom, like you said as well as my delay (flashback x4) so I have access to the tap tempo function.
            Bottom row from right to left:
            Wah/switcher/delay and if there is enough room Mobius.
            Last edited by Gtrjunior; 02-08-2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
              I looked at those Schmidt boards and man they are killer but really expensive. I don't know how far I want to go with effects as when you start looking at what your spending it's starts to get out of hand quick.
              Yes, super nice and super expensive. If you are building, lots of ideas that take from them.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                Thanks!
                My idea was to put the power supply inside the board as well as my power strip etc...the only thing I was going to keep on top (besides the pedals) was the patch cables...in the event you get to a gig and have to troubleshoot, it’s much easier to not have to trace the patch cables underneath the board.

I was also going to put the switcher on the bottom, like you said as well as my delay (flashback x4) so I have access to the tap tempo function.
                Bottom row from right to left:
                Wah/switcher/delay and if there is enough room Mobius.
                Very cool man, I'm excited to see the end result.

Comment

Yes, super nice and super expensive. If you are building, lots of ideas that take from them.
                  yeah the top row lid with the hinge is a super cool idea. So easy to manage it seems with that design then a fixed design.

Comment

Also if you’ve got any questions on the ES-8 feel free to ask me. MIDI, additional Loop Expanders, thoughts on setting up loops, programming, patch strategies, etc.
                    Last edited by PFDarkside; 02-09-2018, 10:49 AM.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Also if you’ve got any questions on the ES-8 feel free to ask me. MIDI, additional Loop Expanders, thoughts on setting up loops, programming, patch strategies, etc.
                      Awesome man thanks. I currently own a ES-5 and I have been using GT boards for decades. I got some understanding of how Boss thinks and does things. The ES-8 is a little different so I maybe taking you up on the offer.
                      I'm excited to build a new board, I just found a used Pedaltrain Classic 32 x16 board for sale locally and I'm probably gonna grab that and use it until I figure out my custom board.
                      I want to take my time this time and really build something custom.

Comment

Working...
                      X