banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to upgrade from a Boss GT-10 to ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to upgrade from a Boss GT-10 to ???

Hi everyone. So I'm starting to look for a new floor or rack multifx unit for my simple rack system that I'm slowly building and looking for opinions and recommendations. I would like to keep the cost way below the $1000 if possible. I'm NOT worried about the preamps because I don't use them. I've been using my gt10 just for some basic effects like boosts and delay and to split my signal because most of the effect do not sound good to me. Also I don't do any recording stuff, I only play live (in my garage).<-- I've read that some units sound better for live use and other units work and sound better for recording purposes.

Ideally I would have loved to have a G-system because of the removable processor that you can mount in the rack and the simplicity of it but they have been discontinued and TC no longer supports them.

If possible I would like a unit that has patches that you can use in a stomp box form.

So what units sound way better than a gt10 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

P.S. With my gt10 I always use the chorus stereo 2 with some delay for a doubling effect, so the new unit must be able to do that.

Thanks in advance
    Big Kurka
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
    Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
    Boss GT-10
    Rocktron Velocity 300
    Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
    Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
    AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Re: Looking to upgrade from a Boss GT-10 to ???

I'd think the Line 6 M series, or the new Helix effects pedal are within your budget. I think you can find a Fractal FX8 under $1k, too. So you have a lot of great choices.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

G-Systems are still available used (I got one that way), and whilst support has been discontinued, there is still an active user base to help you online.

Comment

It has been said the GT-10 is more suited to use with an amp and the GT-100 suited to recording. Either way, its what sounds good to you that matters. Other options are:
        L6 Helix, Helix Rack, Helix LT or HX Effects
        Avid/Eleven Headrush
        Fractal AX8
        Boss GT-100 or the new GT-1000 out March/April.

On the subject of the GT-1000, there is also the question as to whether you can wait that long before making your choice.
        I don't have a problem with management, management have a problem with me.

Comment

Looking to upgrade from a Boss GT-10 to ???

If you’re not using the preamps etc and really only using it for Fx....I don’t see why you need to change a thing.
          I don’t think a new unit is going to give a significantly better chorus, delay or reverb sound. ??

Comment

Actually they do. The GT-100 is a step up and overall sound quality for everything the GT-10 does. I have owned the GT-8 GT-10 and the GT-100. The GT-100 by far was the best overall sounding effects only board wired in the 4 cable method using my amps pre amp sections.

A used GT-100 would be an ideal upgrade for under a $1000.00. but the new GT-1000 is coming out as mentioned above and that might be worth spending the $999 for it.

Comment

Hi everyone thanks for the responses. I've been checking into the helix stuff and I must say that for me the editing is way to deep and there are way to many bells and whistles that I'll never use. Now I know any multifx unit is going to need tweaking and stuff but I don,t know enough about things to really do deep editing stuff.

As for the G-system it is still on the table of options. The two major things I have against it is that they do have problems and there no factory support and I'll still have to buy additional pedals for it (which may not be a bad thing).

As for right now I'm going to be using my GT-10 until I save up the extra funds for a new/newer unit. Like I said earlier to me a lot of the basic effects do not sound good at all, such as the phaser, flanger, wah pedal and a lot of the distortions.

I've read some good and bad things about the GT-100 but the things I've read seem kinda bias, so???

Now as far as the GT-1000 it kinda seems like they improved the preamp sections but maybe not so much on the effects. Not sure about that and could be way way wrong.

How does the line 6 POD stuff stack up???
              What about an actual rack unit??? Probably exceed a $1k dollar amount by double.

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate all your inputs so far.

Boss GT-10
              Rocktron Velocity 300

Comment

Well, the PODs still need a lot of tweaking. I'd go with the M-9 or M-13, which has no real menus. You have knobs for every parameter, and they work just like effects pedals, although all in one box. And they sound remarkable. Most of the effects in the new Helix HX are from the M-series.

Comment

I have a GT-100 and the basic effects are really good. I can't say how it compares to the GT-10, but I will say that the phaser and flanger on the 100 took some work to get the sounds I wanted, it's not as straight forward as a MXR Phase 90 or flanger to dial in.

Comment

Personally, I thought the GT-10 was better at effects, and the GT-100 was better at amps/cabs.
                    I don't have a problem with management, management have a problem with me.

Comment

Hi everyone just wanted to say thanks for your input. I found a used FX-8 MKII on ebay for fairly cheap so I bought it. Did better than expected on the tax returns so I splurged a little bit on myself.
                      Thanks again
                      Big Kurka

Boss GT-10
                      Rocktron Velocity 300

Comment

Let us know how the FX-8 works out. I have an AX-8 and love it.

Comment

Working...
                        X