Fuzz in FX loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzz in FX loop

I've been toying with the idea of building a fuzz with a wet/dry circuit in it and sticking it in my FX loop. The idea being that rather than cranking the fuzz into the clean channel, I'd run my clean signal into my dirt channel and then add a slight bit of hair with the fuzz before sending it out to the poweramp. That way, I won't just add dirt on top of the fuzz. Loop is serial.

Would it work? Any reason not to do it?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Fuzz in FX loop

Do it and post results my dude. That’s always the answe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    guitars suck

Comment

Usually, it isn't a very pretty sound. I've tried true distortion pedals in a loop, but not a fuzz. It also depends if your loop is series or parallel- mine is parallel. But most are in series. It is generally for things like delay, chorus, etc...
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Usually, it isn't a very pretty sound. I've tried true distortion pedals in a loop, but not a fuzz. It also depends if your loop is series or parallel- mine is parallel. But most are in series. It is generally for things like delay, chorus, etc...
        +1

A rackmount preamp or something with full EQ can sound pretty good run into an effects loop. A fuzz OTOH is designed to run into an actual amp and would probably sound pretty awful into an effects loop. Depending on the fuzz you may also run into problems with the effects return's impedance being too low.

I'm not saying that you can't do it, just don't be surprised if it sounds horrible.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Remember, most fuzz boxes were designed to be first in the chain, because of how the pickups load into it. If you put it in the loop, it is like putting several buffers in front of it, so you sort of lose how touch-sensitive a fuzz can be.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X