Get more punk rock chug out of Mesa Boogie DC2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get more punk rock chug out of Mesa Boogie DC2

I recently got a 90's Mesa Boogie Dual Caliber Studio 22.
    I love the sound of the overdrive channel, but it needs to be a bit more gainy / chuggy for punk rock rythme.

Which pedal would you recommend to do the job? I'd like to keep the EQ and sound that I currently have.

Re: Get more punk rock chug out of Mesa Boogie DC2

If you’re really just looking to tighten up the low end on the overdrive channel to dial in some chug, a Tube Screamer-type pedal will help a lot. I like the Bad Monkey because it’s cheap and the bass knob lets you dial exactly how tight you want the bass.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetClyde99 View Post
      If you’re really just looking to tighten up the low end on the overdrive channel to dial in some chug, a Tube Screamer-type pedal will help a lot. I like the Bad Monkey because it’s cheap and the bass knob lets you dial exactly how tight you want the bass.
      Doesn't a TS cut the bass and adds mids?

Comment

It cuts bass before the signal is distorted by the preamp, which is what tightens things up for a satisfying chug sounds. I don’t think it boosts mids so much as cuts everything else, though you can dial the highs back in, but I suppose that’s splitting hairs if you’re using it as a boost and you then hear an increase in mids.

Anyway, you can try something like an EHX Soul Food (a Klon) if the TS mid hump worries you. That will have a somewhat flatter EQ, but it won’t tighten things up quite as much as a result.

You could also try an EQ into the front end of your amp to carve out the flabbier bass frequencies, but some EQs can be noisy in this application.

Comment

These amps (and most older Mesas in general) are voiced for smooth midrange. And in a 112 2xEL84 combo, it's going to be hard to get the deep chug of a big bottle amp pushing a 412 cab.

Having the "right" tubes can help. I'd probably stick with the Mesa EL84s versus the "softer" JJs that I like. I might try one or more of the "harder" 12AX7s in the preamp, like the Mesa, Tung-Sol or the E-H.

Speaker might help, and rather than replace the original, you might want to try finding a Mesa 112 Thiele cab to put under your combo. It will definitely add value to your rig, and add back a lot of low-end punch and thump. The best speaker is the EVM, but the Mesa Black Shadow C90 is good too.

I have a Celestion V30 in my DC-3, and I love it. That would be my recommendation for a replacement speaker in your amp, but I'm sure you'll get many other recommendations from other members.

Resist the temptation to place your amp on a stand or chair. You'll get the best bass coupling with the amp in the floor.

Be sure to download the DC-2s Owner's Manual from the Mesa website, and read it until you thoroughly understand how your controls work. Mesas are not your run of the mill amps, and there are some cool features in the tone controls, especially the midrange control.

A graphic EQ can help, BUT...you will need to very careful about not adding too much bass with the EQ...you can blow the speaker. Either the MXR 10-BAND or the BOSS GE-7 or the MESA 5-band will work, but I would suggest experimenting before you buy, if you can. They are very different units. You may also need to try it before the amp, and in the Effects Loop to see where it works best. The other amps in the DC Series have the GEQ built-in. It is a great feature.

I don't have any pedal recommendations; the pedal junkies on the board know far better than I. But, I would certainly look for one with B-M-T tone controls.

Good luck with your amp. It is a budget amp from Mesa, but it is solidly built and should give you years of service. With the Thiele it will sound like a much bigger amp, and even by itself, it can hang with a drummer in small club.

And READ THE MANUAL!

Bill
          Last edited by Boogie Bill; 02-21-2018, 02:38 AM.
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
          X