NPD - vintage MIJ Boss SD-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD - vintage MIJ Boss SD-1

Found this Super Overdive at my favourite pawn shop for $99CAD.

According to the Boss Serial Number Decoder at Stompboxzone.com its from Feb 1983.

I'm quite impressed with it. I remember having a MIC model and finding it to be too bright and the midrange bump was not pleasing to the ear at all.

This one has just the right amount of top end and I quite like the mids. Nasally, but seems to be slightly lower mids compared to the MIC one I had a few years back.

I snagged this because some of my favourite guitarists that are known to have used Boss SD-1's were using the Japanese versions. Zakk Wylde in the 90's, John Christ in the late 80's and early 90's Danzig albums being the main examples.

I've seen more pristine examples being sold on eBay and Reverb for a few dollars more, but I honestly get skeptical when I see a supposedly 35 year old Boss pedal that looks like it was never stepped on. Especially when the colour of the paint in the shots showing the serial number or the back label seems a different shade than on the pics of the top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	5847380

Re: NPD - vintage MIJ Boss SD-1

Hate to tell you, but the SD-1 circuit is the same in the MIT ones as the MIJ ones, it never changed.

The MIJ and early MIT DS-1s are a totally different circuit from the current version.

Comment

the older ones sound different to me. is the chip the same?

Comment

JRC4558, same as the TS, of course, it has a newer version of the chip. The SD-1 circuit never changed, so differences are probably due to component tolerances more than anything.

Again, MIJ DS-1 totally different circuit, OOP chip, and sounds much better but the later MIT ones, but the SD-1 has always been the same.

Didn't mean to be a downer, but the good news is you can still get your $ out of it since it is MIJ and lots of people still believe.

Comment

good to know, thanks for the info

Comment

I do notice a difference compared to the one I had. If there's no change and it's due to tolerances, so be it.

But yeah, I see these selling for more than I paid for mine so when the time comes, maybe I'll sell for a profit if I've replaced it with a newer one that sounds just as good.
            Last edited by ThisDyingSoul76; 03-15-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

i like to take out d3 and r31 and replace them with jumpers so you can run those old boss pedals on the modern 9v power supplies.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I like the SD-1. I have an old one that I run in front of my Weeping Demon into my modded MT-2. Or, if I want something different, into my TS-7.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Also the MIJ versions are obviously older so there's likely been more drift from factory specs and tolerances, although storage environment probably plays a bigger factor.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
                    I do notice a difference compared to the one I had. If there's no change and it's due to tolerances, so be it.

But yeah, I see these selling for more than I paid for mine so when the time comes, maybe I'll sell for a profit if I've replaced it with a newer one that sounds just as good.
                    Sorry man, didn't mean to rain on your parade, but in the end, if it works better for you, it's good! I like the SD-1 better TS-9s, the asymmetrical clipping adds a subtle octave harmonic to the mix. I have an old MIJ one that became my modding test platform, probably not the smartest move, should have picked up a cheap MIT one, even though they are the same.

Comment

I modded mine, swapped the op-amp for a NE5532, bright blue LED, and some component swaps, and now it's a HUGE sounding pedal...

Comment

Nice mojo factor. $99 - too steep IMO, but if it works the magic for you, go for it.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          Nice mojo factor. $99 - too steep IMO, but if it works the magic for you, go for it.
                          $99 CAD is $75 USD
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I've seen them go for double that checking completed listings on eBay. I think I got off easy.

Comment

Isn't the HM-2 also supposed to be internally identical in units from both countries?

I've read many saying that they are indeed the same design and values but all the little electrothings caps/resistors/ect.. were from different sources.
                              That would maybe explain guys who have both saying the MIJ are always a hair punchier, and MIT are brighter.

If I took one apart I wouldn't even know what any of that stuff do/does/was,,,,,looks like some crazy elctromaze ordeal to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X