TC Electronic Flashback/ Alter Ego vs Boss DD-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC Electronic Flashback/ Alter Ego vs Boss DD-7

I don’t have a delay pedal, I never needed one (still don’t but it might be fun). I have an amp with a parallel effects loop, so I would need a pedal with wet-only output capabilities. I had been looking at the EHX Memory Toy, and the Mooer Repeater, but the Flashback/ Alter Ego and DD-7 seem to have a lot of cool functions. Any thoughts on them?

Re: TC Electronic Flashback/ Alter Ego vs Boss DD-7

Well, it depends on other functions you want...and how much you like to control the delay. I dig the Vapor Trail and Andromeda, but I also like a lot of control over the delay sound. Do you like analog? Digital? Long delay times? Weird spaceship sounds? There are all sorts of things to consider when looking for a great delay.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Vapour Trail looks cool, and I forgot it had wet-only out. The Andromeda I think is in the area where I would get option paralysis.

Part of my problem is that I’ve never used delay, because I was mostly playing punk, pop-punk, and riff stuff. I like the concept of some retro, psychedelic rock stuff.

Comment

I think you might want to research to hear what others do with a delay pedal, and then you would be in a better position to see what features you might want.

Comment

Not necessary, get the Boss DD-7 and go. I owned the Flashback and yes it's a good pedal but it has way to much going on. If you want to spend more time tinkering then playing then get a flash back. If you want a delay pedal you can reach down, turn a few knobs and have a killer Delay tone, then get the DD-7. There is plenty other reasons I could go into why I feel the DD-7 is a superior Delay pedal.

Comment

I have an Alter Ego. Great sounds, though they baked the chorus speed and depth into the algorithms so you can't control them. But with TonePrint you can change what the knobs do and really get some sweet delay out of it. I have a digital delay algorithm where the speed and depth of the chorus is dependent on the regeneration and depth of the delay and now it sounds like my rack units I had in he 80's.

Comment

Flashback original is a great delay that can serve many purposes, especially with some of the stacked-effect artist toneprint options,,,,,,,,,,,,, but I'd still have to go with the Boss out of these.

Comment

The Boss seems pretty simple to use, if I'm going to start with the analog mode, then probably the modulated and reverse modes for fun, perhaps play with the loop bit for songwriting. I don't think I will be doing much Edge-style stuff with super-precise delay times at any point soon.

Comment

Right about the Alter Ego... The Modulations are cranked... But personally I bought it for that reason...
                  "Play like a Champion"
                  PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
                  Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
                  Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

What are the differences between the blue and silver versions of the Vapor Trail?

Comment

I believe it is just the paint.

Comment

Thanks Dave, I’ve seen one on eBay, it’s the silver model. Thanks for suggesting it, the dedicated wet-only output is perfect, and the modulation is a great bonus.

Comment

Working...
                        X