Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bedroom Levels

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    Because the more your attenuate (with attenuator), the more the tone gets compressed.

At high levels of attentuation (with attenuator), the tone is severely compressed and thus
    loses all dynamics - producing a flat, lifeless "cardboard" tone.
    Not if that's done with reactive load like you would with dummy load. Other way around, using regular attenuator as dummy load would be the worst, and would kill all the dynamics.

Sorry for getting caught in the semantics, but the basics how dummy load and attenuators work is exactly same. They load the amp with replacement of speaker that turns power in to heat instead of sound. Statement that dummy load somehow is better for tone is only true if you compare equipment of different design.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
      Sorry for getting caught in the semantics, but the basics how dummy load and attenuators work is exactly same. They load the amp with replacement of speaker that turns power in to heat instead of sound. Statement that dummy load somehow is better for tone is only true if you compare equipment of different design.
      +1

Reactive is reactive and resistive is resistive; the load device doesn't care if there's a speaker after (or in parallel with) it or not.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Anyhoo......................

For those who haven't, try a dummy load setup sometime (line out to DAW+iRs, or power amp, etc) and compare it to just using an attenuator.

I'll offer an example: my fully cranked (on "10" volume) '66 Fender Deluxe w/ dummy load into DAW+iRs.

In the room, my amp was of course dead silent even though it was dimed. This setup already beats the attenuator setup volume-wise because it's silent... not to mention the tone.

Last edited by LLL; 05-05-2018, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Of course, if you do need "stage" volume but don't want to blow yours and everyone else's eardrums out (not to mention, at home - piss off your neighbors)...

Then you simply run your line out into a power amp and adjust volume accordingly. No attenuator mush!

It's a g-d miracle, is what it is. Love it.

Comment

I do have interest in building a rack with full amp, dummy load, and stereo power amp, and maybe assorted effects. But can't really justify myself the cost and impracticality compared to a nice sounding amp head and pedalboard.

Just waiting for Orange to release Rocker 32 head, so I can get my rig into stereo...
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Instead of trying to make a big amp sound good at bedroom levels, I think that it would be more cost effective to just get a small amp that sounds good at bedroom levels.
              To each their own.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

You can always go with one of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	482812000000000-00-500x500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	5806477

It's small and perfectly polite for bedroom levels.

Comment

I dunno...I haven't had an amp in my bedroom for years. I'm either playing at a rehearsal, at a show, or at rehearsal/show levels in my jam space. It's not that loud...
                  - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                  Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                  The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I wouldn't want an amp in my bedroom anymore than I would want a TV.
                    The amp that I play in the music room when someone is asleep in the bedroom is my Jet City Picovalve.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                      You can always go with one of these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89676[/ATTACH]

It's small and perfectly polite for bedroom levels.
                      (...of course, that's a joke)

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        I wouldn't want an amp in my bedroom anymore than I would want a TV.
                        The amp that I play in the music room when someone is asleep in the bedroom is my Jet City Picovalve.

I use Fender Mustang with if I have to keep quiet.

EDIT: Through half-open 1x12. Orginal 8" speaker in that is useless crap.

Comment

Working...
                        X