Finally!!! NPB build thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally!!! NPB build thread!!!

I finally finished my homemade pedalboard build, with a ton of help from my father!
    The cover is removable via detachable hinges:

With the cover off I designed it to resemble a pedal train style board.

The biggest difference is that my board is on a piano hinge that, when opened has internal space to mount my strip, junction box and power supply for the pedals.
    I’ve hardwired the strip to a male ended outlet accessible from the outside of the board and will accommodate any standard extension cord

I’ll be making all my own custom cables and wiring up a couple of pedals with midi functionality as well

I’ll be robbing a few pedals from my current “essentials only” board

And here are the other pedals that will be making an entrance

And of course the board and amp switching will be fully controlled by this.

It’s going to be a TON of work but I’ll just chip away a little at a time!!

Re: Finally!!! NPB build thread!!!

Very nice! It’s hard work documenting a process like this, especially a pedal board which is wont to change frequently. Keep us posted!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Hopefully, I will be able to begin working on it this weekend.
      I’ll do a mock up of the setup without any cables attached and see what problems I’ll need to overcome.
      And of course, I’m open to suggestions form anyone that has tackled a project like this.
      I’m sure I’ll need some help in setting up the midi functions since I’ve never used that feature before.

Comment

You've got a heck of a good start there! Have fun with that mystery box.
        "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Originally posted by SAguitar View Post
          You've got a heck of a good start there! Have fun with that mystery box.
          I should be able to get started this weekend provided the wife doesn’t invent house/yard work.

Comment

Looks great... I’m a little jealous!
            Originally posted by The Commodores?
            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Finally!!! NPB build thread!!!

First mock-up
              I’m open to routing suggestions.
              Delay, Mobius, HOF, and g-string will go in the loop. Eventually the HOF will be replaced with the Silver Lake reverb...I just don’t have the money for it right now. I’m contemplating the RC Booster in the loop too. A guy on the Splawn forum puts his boost there and so I tried it too, and I’ll be damned...it sounded good. I’m using he RC to boost the clean channel and the BB preamp to goose the OD channel so ill leave the BB out front.
              I need to keep a 3/4” gap around the perimeter of the board to accommodate the cover. And I’m trying to leave room above the switcher for the mess of cables that will eventually be routed there.
              I could move the wah to the left of the switcher, I could live with that too.
              Thoughts anyone?

Comment

Second mock up. And I think this layout makes much more sense.
                The tuner/wireless, wah, and compressor don’t need to be in the looper. The delay, Mobius, HOF and G-string are grouped together and will go in the Fx loop the other pedals will be out front.
                The orange caveman drive and the upper left. Gov’nor clone will be doing battle to see which one stays and which goes...or maybe both stay.

Comment

Nice job. Lots of room for expansion and cabling.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I spent most of the afternoon making cables....it’s a lot of work.
                    On the plus side, I only burned myself once!!!

Comment

I decided that the Gov’nor clone is off the board and the Caveman has won the spot!
                      However, I don’t love the Caveman so I’m keeping my eyes open for something better.
                      The caveman is really good though, I’m not in a hurry to get rid of it.

Comment

Every cable I made today was showing as a short on my cable tester. Completely frustrating. Until I noticed it showing good as I was disconnecting a cable.
                        So, I decided I needed to test them the old fashioned way....with a guitar and amp.
                        So far they all work and sound great. Clearly my cable tester is a dud.

Comment

......AND I just ordered a Silver Lake Reverb.

Comment

Tap Dance lessons should be in your future.
                            "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

I sound tested that cables I’ve been making (working my *ss of on) today and I’m highly disappointed with the sound quality. I have a cheap eBay cable I was comparing them to and the cheapie sounds perfect. The Canare cable I bought from Redco sounds like a wet blanket has been thrown over my amp.
                              I’m thinking of getting some Planet Waves bulk cable. I’ve always had good luck with that brand.
                              Ugh....money and time wasted for nothing. And I was almost finished. Back to the drawing board.

Comment

Working...
                              X