Recommendations for a Leslie simulator pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a Leslie simulator pedal

Guys, my son and I saw Doyle Bramhall II last Thursday night. He is a monster player, and had the Hendrix vibe working hard. Various fuzz faces and roto-vibe type effects all nite long. He had great tone. I saw on his rig rundown video he uses a like $5,000 mechanical Leslie box with its own blackface super on stage. Obviously, I don’t need that, but I would like a simple effective and cost effective as possible pedal to explore some of these tones. What do you all recommend for a uni-vibe/Leslie type of pedal? Thank you in advance.

Re: Recommendations for a Leslie simulator pedal

ive had a h&k rotosphere for years and it does the leslie thing as well as anything ive found. it really shines with two amps but sounds great either way. doyle does get great tones for sure! lots of great toys on his board

Comment

A quick check of Google Images shows he has had no less than the H&K Rotosphere, DLS Roto, Leslie brand pedal and Neo Mini Vent. All of those are world class rotary pedals. To dip your toes in the water, the Line 6 Roto Machine wasn’t too bad. It has a touch too much distortion baked in but it works. Also the old Danelectro Rocky Road(?) was a pretty well regarded one for a reasonable price. I’ve even used a Chorus with depth and rate high to simulate it, but that’s just the budget version. If you can go Stereo, it helps a lot with any of those type of pedals.

On the UniVibe end, I’ve liked the Voodoo Lab Vibe Machine. Reasonably priced, sounds good and Pedalboard friendly.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Strymon Lex

Comment

The Strymon Lex is one of my favorite pedals. I get an organ tone out of my Boss Harmonist.
          I'd like to get the EH keyboard simulator pedals eventually.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The three best analog Leslie simulators are: 1. Original Univibe 2. Drybell Vibe Machine 3. Effectrode Tube-Vibe. My personal favorite, is the Drybell Vibe Machine (red model).

If you're into digital modulation: 1. Rocktron Multivalve (not pedal format) 2. DLS 3. Neo Ventilator II 4. Strymon Lex. The Rocktron Multivalve (IMO) sports the best digital Leslie simulator ever. The best results are always obtained by running the device into the front of the amp, of course.

Guitar + Multivalve + Two (preferably Marshall 50 or 100 watt NMV) amplifiers = Prepare for transport!

Comment

The rotosphere is probably the best analog one and I like it better than the Lex. I’ve read some good things about the pigtronix pedal (can’t remember the name), but I’ve never used it or heard it in person. I’ve never tried the Vent, it it’s too expensive anyway. The big problem is that these things are all relatively expensive. Most players can get by with a chorus that can go fast enough. I don’t think that phasers or Univibe get close to the “fast” Leslie sounds.

Comment

for guitar, i like the rotosphere better than the lex or ventilator. i like the ventilator better for keyboards and the size of the rotosphere is a pita but it sounds damn good if you spend the time to adjust it to your rig. i love the univibe but dont think it sounds much like a real leslie. a buddy has a 147 with the preamp that ive used a bunch over the years and thats what judge things against.

Comment

oddly enough one of the best i ever used was by Peavey about 10 yrs ago.And i tried loads of options, all the rack gear and modelers, because back in the 70s I had a custom made Guitar Leslie. i think its the only leslie effect pedal PV ever made, and it was specific to just leslie emulation. maybe find one on ebay

Comment

My Fractal AX8 does a great Leslie. I compared it to a real one and the new smaller Leslie made by the real Leslie company. Other than the sound not being thrown all over the room from a spinning speaker, through the PA it sounds legit.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I need to try the Rotosphere pedal. The clips sound really good!

Comment

most leslie pedals sound best through two amps, none will beat the real thing though, the spinning horn/rotor doppler effect is damn near impossible to replicate with just speakers

Comment

The first concert I ever attended was Frampton Comes Alive. He was playing his LPC through a Leslie cabinet, and man was that cool! The effect just enveloped the entire arena.

Comment

Best Leslie sim I have ever heard in a pedal is the Ventilator. It even has a knob to simulate the overdrive from the old Leslie tube amps. It also simulates the ramp up and down of the speaker spinning.

Comment

Working...
                            X