• NPD- ZenDrive II Gold

OMG this sounds good! Versatile too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	5848654

Re: NPD- ZenDrive II Gold

Congrats! Kinda bummed out I saw the sale too late. A Tchula would've been nice.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

My EPH-3 Tape Echo Simulator is on the way too.

Comment

Having not used a ZenDrive...what's its deal?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Zendrives are cool but how many iterations can Hermida/Lovepedal come up with? Not saying they are all exactly the same but ... jeez. That said, the sale was awesome. I didn't buy anything but I was temped.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Having not used a ZenDrive...what's its deal?
            Velvety smooth, singing low-to-mid-gain OD. Great interaction with guitar's volume knob and to subtleties of pick dynamics. Stays quite true to the individual character of different guitars; they still really sound like themselves. The unusual thing with the Zen is that it adds gain without adding hair. Very refined. Sounds excellent through every amp I've tried it with. Mine's the original silver one; haven't tried any of the other versions.

I also have a Mosferatu, Zendrive's slightly hairier older brother. Similar responsiveness to the volume knob, with some more gain on tap. Full and fairly warm - really sweet with singlecoils and PAF types. Not quite so civilized and elegant as the Zendrive. I have an early version without the Voice control so that may have colored my feelings, but along with the extra gain Mosferatu seems to put a little more of its own imprint on the sound than the Zendrive. It's a great coloration though.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
              Velvety smooth, singing low-to-mid-gain OD. Great interaction with guitar's volume knob and to subtleties of pick dynamics. Stays quite true to the individual character of different guitars; they still really sound like themselves. The unusual thing with the Zen is that it adds gain without adding hair. Very refined. Sounds excellent through every amp I've tried it with. Mine's the original silver one; haven't tried any of the other versions.

I also have a Mosferatu, Zendrive's slightly hairier older brother. Similar responsiveness to the volume knob, with some more gain on tap. Full and fairly warm - really sweet with singlecoils and PAF types. Not quite so civilized and elegant as the Zendrive. I have an early version without the Voice control so that may have colored my feelings, but along with the extra gain Mosferatu seems to put a little more of its own imprint on the sound than the Zendrive. It's a great coloration though.
              Thanks for the description...it sounds like something I would really like.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

That's a really good description. I'd also like to add it's an attempt at a Dumble In A Box. That being said, since every Dumble is a custom build and the only way to get 2 identical amps is to order them yourself (they won't build you a duplicate of SRV, Robben Ford or John Schofield's amps); the Dumble sound is quite broad and the ZenDrive is not versatile enough to claim that it does the Dumble sound. But, it does get close to a specific Dumble. The tone Hermida was going for was Robben Ford. And he must have done a good job, because when Robben can't justify lugging his $30,000 amplifier, he uses a ZenDrive into whatever bavkline he's supplied with.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                  Zendrives are cool but how many iterations can Hermida/Lovepedal come up with? Not saying they are all exactly the same but ... jeez. That said, the sale was awesome. I didn't buy anything but I was temped.
                  Honestly, the variations are subtle. There are a few with more gain, some may have more or less pronounced mids or the overall tone a bit darker or brighter... but you'd barely know the difference if you didn't gave them side by side.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
                    Honestly, the variations are subtle. There are a few with more gain, some may have more or less pronounced mids or the overall tone a bit darker or brighter... but you'd barely know the difference if you didn't gave them side by side.
                    I have a clone that I built. It's still on my board. I also gave one to a forum member. He liked it and had me build another for a friend of his. I have no idea which iteration of Zendrive they are but I'm guessing, probably, clones of the original.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                      I have a clone that I built. It's still on my board. I also gave one to a forum member. He liked it and had me build another for a friend of his. I have no idea which iteration of Zendrive they are but I'm guessing, probably, clones of the original.
                      Having built clones, what other (famous) pedal would you say it is electronically related to?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Having built clones, what other (famous) pedal would you say it is electronically related to?
                        Haven't given it much thought since I built those from full kits. But, like most OD's it's probably an "evolved" Tube Screamer. But it's voiced differently and smoother OD (compared to the original TS's anyway). I never got much of a "sounds like a Dumble" vibe from mine. But most of the clips comparing them to Dumbles are into clean Fenders. I don't own a Fender and never played the clone (or an actual Zendrive) into a Fender.

Comment

I like my Z, humbuckers love it more than singles although it can get there.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't get over how amazing this pedal sounds. So amp-like. And then stack it into a clone set for a slightly dirty boost....

It's equally at home as both the crunch and lead tones and if you want to take it up a notch further, an SD-1 before it as a slight boost will give you added sustain, slightly more gain and tighten up the low end.

Comment

So what is different in the II version? And is it 'gold' just because of the color, or is something else different about it?

Comment

Working...
                              X