Buffer suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffer suggestions

Owing to an impedance mismatch I am losing a lot of signal between my JVM205C and my G-System (second generation; red limited edition). The remedy for this would be to get a buffer, and I am wondering which one to get. I have the following preferences, in order of importance:

* Should contain a boost to fine-tune signal levels
    * Should have two outputs, with one them isolated, for stereo possibilities
    * Preferably it should run on a typical Boss pedal's power; I can then feed it power through the G-System
    * (Minor point) if possible, the volume knob for this should not be so accessible that you can change it by bumping into it; it is intended as a "set and forget" kind of thing (that goes for all other features as well: I certainly do NOT want something stompable!)
    * (Very minor point) If that is even possible, it would be great to have a buffer that uses balanced cables for its output, as the G-System use these to great effect.

Are there any products on the market that would fit this description?
    Last edited by Sirion; 07-27-2018, 04:49 AM.

Re: Buffer suggestions

Just to begin, I've looked at the Suhr buffer, which does not have any gain settings, and the MXR buffer, which does not have an isolated output, and also a gain slider that looks easy to bump into.

Comment

I don't know if there is a pedal that does everything you want with the features that you want (like balanced outs). Maybe check what Radial has to offer. I know they have what amounts to an adjustable buffer in their active ABY pedal. That said, a boost, clean or otherwise, while on, is buffering the signal. So maybe you could get the buffering you want with an always on clean boost with a level control, and find the stereo and balanced features in another box.

Comment

Yep, you're asking for a lot, like Darg said, I would check Radial.

Comment

Er?? Dat Marskaldi has both seriel and parallel loops.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
            Er?? Dat Marskaldi has both seriel and parallel loops.....
            True, but neither of them is without flaw. The parallel loop does not really go 100% wet (Satriani changed it for a second parallel loop on his signature), so once you start adding digital effects you get strange artefacts. The serial loop is therefore where it is at, but this is unbuffered, as it was included primarily for external preamps. To get the G-System to work the common route seems to be to add an EbTech line level shifter to bring the signal below clipping levels, and a buffer to fine tune the level. I want to get one where I also have the opportunity to expand the rig into a wet/dry type of thing.

Comment

Hehe and then you use the G System.....where is your Rockman??
              Hmm it is your effectsmachine that needs to be 100% wet, then mixed upon the line signal to the poweramp....no dry signal from the G box thingy....

Comment

Hehe and then you use the G System.....where is your Rockman??
                Hmm it is your effectsmachine that needs to be 100% wet, then mixed upon the line signal to the poweramp....no dry signal from the G box thingy....
                The Rockman may (or may not) be forthcoming at any point. I still think it is a cool sound, but at the end of the day I decided that a Marshall tone is more useful if I could get one thing. It is something I hope to have in my arsenal one day, though.

I readily admit that whereas the G-System effects do sound good, in my opinion, there were some questionable decisions made when it came to the design of the effects loop input in the unit. That is what Danish beer does to an engineer, I suppose! And yes, it should be 100% wet. The serial loop will do that with a little tweaking, though, hence this post.

Comment

Marshall and loops....The G System is 1Mega in and 100 out or 200ohm balanced...
                  Hmm not made for parallel loops it would seem....maybe it is a better idea to figure out what it is with that seriel loop of the Marshmellow amp....

Comment

Marshall and loops....The G System is 1Mega in and 100 out or 200ohm balanced...
                    Hmm not made for parallel loops it would seem....maybe it is a better idea to figure out what it is with that seriel loop of the Marshmellow amp....
                    It will indeed be going into the serial loop. The parallel loop might be put on permanent chorus duty to annoy the tone snots.

Comment

If you have chorus that uses linelevel signal that it is!
                      Chorus after drive?? Eeeh methinks it sounds better before

Comment

The parallel loop actually has a line/instrument level switch. It is really annoying that they got each loop almost right, but not quite. I like phaser before the preamp but chorus, delay and reverb after; flangers can go either place, because I don't care too much for them anyway

Comment

If you have chorus that uses linelevel signal that it is!
                          Chorus after drive?? Eeeh methinks it sounds better before
                          Not if you want to annoy tone snobs.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Haha I don't wanna annoy me own ears....very few chorus units sounds that good after drive...unless they are the detune kind.
                            Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 07-30-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Haha I don't wanna annoy me own ears....very chorus units sounds that good after chorus...unless they are the detune kind.
                              Just to have stated it, I've never considered you a gear snob, especially since you actually know what you are talking about – as far as I'm concerned, your only flaw is that you are Danish!

Comment

Working...
                              X