Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD- Blackstar HT-DUAL Distortion Pedal

Wow,

Have been patiently looking for a versatile single pedal for crunch in front of my super clean Musicman HD130 4*10 and boy did I find it-

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180812_172451.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	5848911

Light OD on 1 and heavy crunch on ch2 easily goes from light blues to cliffs of dover with 1 step- Very responsive, built like a tank and some have complained about a noise with high gain, but so far, no problems.

An important requirement was gain and master on each channel to balance against each other and the bypass and it works perfectly-

I was a little concerned that there's a single EQ setting, but channel timbres are well balanced, so that's not an issue-

Messed with the ISF- Definitely moves from scooped to thick in a musical way- Imagine this will get tweaked a lot in the studio-

Great thread follows and big thanks to Gtrjunior for pointing me this direction!

Trying it live later in the week and will report back.

And in retrospect it all makes sense- The MM is a hybrid so it makes sense that another 12ax7 in front would be a good fit- hard to imagine why they stoped making these!
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Re: NGD- Blackstar HT-DUAL Distortion Pedal

I had the HT Metal Tube pedal and it was cool, my main tone when I started out
    Guitars:
    Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
    PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
    ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
    Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
    Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
    Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
    Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
    Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
    Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

They are fabulous pedals. I spent a morning trying different drive pedals when I got mine (there’s probably a thread about it on here somewhere!), and it was head and shoulders above everything else. Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I’ve got an HT Dual that spends all its time tied to my Line 6 HD500 these days, so I picked up an HT Dist to use with my amp. Both great sounding pedals. It’s crazy how cheap you can find them these days. I’m having a really hard time laying hands on anything that sounds better.

Comment

Glad you like it!
          Like I said, I’ve got 3!!
          One on my Marshall board, one in my recoding setup using the emulated out and a backup...just in case.
          Iirc, they come stock with a JJ tube which sound great as-is.
          But if you’re a tweaker try swapping a bunch of tubes in....don’t lose the tiny screws!!
          One of mine has a NOS short grey plate RCA that sounds awesome.
          Again, glad it works for you!!

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
            They are fabulous pedals. I spent a morning trying different drive pedals when I got mine (there’s probably a thread about it on here somewhere!), and it was head and shoulders above everything else. Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Yeah, the tone is amazing and makes me wonder why there aren't more real tube stompbox preamps out there- My little rig appears to have turned into a single pedal and get a chance to try that approach in the real world today and will report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
              Glad you like it!
              Like I said, I’ve got 3!!
              One on my Marshall board, one in my recoding setup using the emulated out and a backup...just in case.
              Iirc, they come stock with a JJ tube which sound great as-is.
              But if you’re a tweaker try swapping a bunch of tubes in....don’t lose the tiny screws!!
              One of mine has a NOS short grey plate RCA that sounds awesome.
              Again, glad it works for you!!
              As a constant moder, I can't wait to swap tubes, but as a musician who never has enough time, I'm going to try to be patient and enjoy it as is

Thanks again for pointing me this direction- it's at least 10% better than any of the other pedals I was trying and they were a lot more expensive.

Comment

I’m sure cost, size, and power supply are the reason you don’t see more pedals like it. Though Kingsley is making a pretty good name for himself making tube powered pedals.

Comment

I love this pedal as well, but you should check-out the Electron Analog Drive. Except for a particular hooker in Vegas, it is best $2OO.OO I've ever spent. It has a sound and feel to it that I can't explain. The Harmonic Fuzz setting is the nastiest I've ever heard! There's not a single bad setting one this thing. The latest one has improved firmware, so there are no issues with MIDI implementation. The tone circuit is 1OO% analog. The controls are digitally mapped for setup and recall only.

There's an outrageous trick that most EAD owners don't know about... You can sweep the midrange frequency, so that every "pedal" is converted to an effected Wah using an external foot controller. I flipped-out when I discovered this! Reminds me of the old Colorsound Wah pedals. If you're thinking this is the same as running a Wah into whatever drive, it's not. It has it's own thing going on. I'm not saying it's better, just different. This single pedal takes the place of 8 drives pedals + wah! That's nearly the entire front section of a pedalboard.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetClyde99 View Post
                    I’m sure cost, size, and power supply are the reason you don’t see more pedals like it. Though Kingsley is making a pretty good name for himself making tube powered pedals.
                    Yeah, I guess they compete with 'amp in pedal' and considering a lot of them are 1w, it can be essentially the same thing.

Comment

My tone for the first 6 months or so was a Ibanez RG with EMG 81/60 going into a blackstar HT Metal tube pedal going into a orange micro dark
                      Guitars:
                      Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
                      PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
                      ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
                      Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
                      Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
                      Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
                      Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
                      Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
                      Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Well, 1 week in and I'm a very happy camper!

Giged it twice, and as expected, it does exactly what I need with my 130watt music man... It provides an incrediblly wide range of tones from light breakup to heavy, singing sustain.

The surprise came when I put it in front of my little mustang2. Combined with my normal 2 channels, I found lots of logical combination and imagine I'll mess with thus more for the small, lite gigs.

Once again, great forum and great recommendation!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X