banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Reverb the most expensive Pedals on the market ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are Reverb the most expensive Pedals on the market ?

Seems like the Boss Reverb (itīs basically a new version of the RV 3 , Reverb Delay they issued on the 90īs) is their most expensive stomp box nowadays and I always noticed Reverbs are more expensive than Delays . Same applies to Digitech ones .

Why are Reverb the most expensive Pedals on the market ?

My guess is that they have the most complex algorithms so we're likely paying for processing power and r&d.

Btw, I would give more credit to the RV-6 vs RV-3. I bought a 90s Yamaha FX500 that had great reverb back then (think Slowdive) and my comment was literally "boy, reverb has come a long way since then". If you only use a bit or reverb then it may not make a difference but for washy ambient tones it does IMHO, YMMV etc.
    Last edited by Blille; 08-16-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Re: Why are Reverb the most expensive Pedals on the market ?

Well, newer reverbs don't just simulate a space, but they combine that with multi-delays and pitch-shifting. So there is an element of sound design, the need for presets, a way to control those presets, and some serious processors crunching numbers in real time.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The TC Electronic Hall of Fame is the same price as the Flashback delay, and the RV-6 is less than the DD-7, I think the Digitech Reverb and Delay are the same price too, although the Hardwire Supernatural reverb may have been a little more.

As Billie and Dave said, reverb takes some serious processing power these days, but I really don't see that reverb pedals cost more than comparable delays, or other similar digital pedals. A guy just traded me a Strymon Mobius modulation pedal for my old GT-100, it's modulation pedal and the street price is $450 new. Of course, it's a Strymon and sounds great.

Comment

Not sure if they're that much more pricey. I just bought my RV6 used for 90 euros. New, it would be 150. Most compact boss pedals sell for around 100 - 120.

The only well-known brand (not counting the Chinese stuff like Mooer, Harley Benton, Joy etc) that's generally cheaper is EHX.

But past that, most stuff don't land below the 200 euro mark, be that an OD, delay or reverb, at least to my knowledge. I think what you might be onto is that once you start looking for cheaper brands, reverbs tend to be a bit more costly than purely analog pedals.
          --------------------------------------------------------
          1973 Aria 551
          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
            I bought a 90s Yamaha FX500 that had great reverb back then . . .
            I still have mine, although I've replaced it in my chain with a Yamaha Magicstomp II. (Plate setting.) I've always thought that Yamaha had some of the best reverb algorithms. Probably the reason I'm having so much trouble getting the MS out into the mail to forum bro TreyH.

Comment

I loved the MagicStomp's reverbs, too. Too bad they didn't continue that line.

Comment

I think an original Klon Centaur is probably the most expensive pedal on the market. Check the prices on those and then a Strymon or other higher priced reverb will probably look pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                  I think an original Klon Centaur is probably the most expensive pedal on the market. Check the prices on those and then a Strymon or other higher priced reverb will probably look pretty cheap.

It's not on the market, that's why it's expensive, scarcity. For a new pedal, reverb is usually more expensive than dirt and most others, when comparing within brands and lines.

But I'm sure you knew that already

Comment

Yes, yes I did.

Just trying to make the OP feel better about the cost of reverb pedals.

Comment

I try to see some selling sites of effects here in Brasil and the Reverb prices are generally more expensive than the others , at least the brand new ones . The latter versions of Boss Reverb Pedals seem to be more expensive than the latter version of Delay pedals , thatīs what Iīve generally seen out there ...

Comment

While I get why reverbs can be expensive, I still wonder what goes into things like the Bricasti Model 7, for almost $4k, or the System 2, at $8500. What's in those things? I'd love to have the opportunity to hear one. Just to say "wow, listen to that reverb."

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          While I get why reverbs can be expensive, I still wonder what goes into things like the Bricasti Model 7, for almost $4k, or the System 2, at $8500. What's in those things? I'd love to have the opportunity to hear one. Just to say "wow, listen to that reverb."
                          Law of diminishing returns says "hell nope". But what do I know? Maybe my normal, mortal ears aren't refined enough.
                          --------------------------------------------------------
                          1973 Aria 551
                          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

My guess is that those high end reverbs are the perfect thing for vocals on a commercially-released pop album. I doubt you'd notice much difference with a guitar through a limited-range guitar amp.

Comment

Those are definitely studio tools, probably not going to find them in any guitar rigs.

Comment

Working...
                              X