Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

    I'm an amp distortion player but have nothing against good sounding pedals. I got introduced to the ML2 thru a trade (neck DiMarzio IBZ from my Prestige for the Boss ML2). Plugged it in and got hit hard by the sheer gain this thing has! It's pretty extreme across the board and does not clean up (not that it's meant to lol). It does exactly what it is designed to do - give you high gain metal saturation for a variety of heavy hitting sub genres. The rhythms are tight and defined. Maybe a little too edgy at times but that can be remedied by dialling back the treble. I thought the leads might suffer but they don't! It retains note definition well and sustains for days too. This is not my favourite distortion pedal but I am happy with what it offers thus far.

    Anyone else think this is a pretty good pedal or does anyone hate it (and why)?

    Rig: Orange Jim Root head or Marshall 6100LM into '93 Marshall 1936 JCM900 Lead 212 cab with V30/T75.

  • #2
    Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

    I like it also.
    It's definitely a "start with all knobs at noon" kind of pedal. Doesn't need the knobs jacked-up to have more than enough of everything.
    Most people would instantly dismiss a digital distortion pedal, but this thing is great IMO for the boosted-recto tone from a clean channel.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

      I had one some years ago. It was pretty hard core. Try it through your effects loop.

      Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

        Originally posted by dave74 View Post
        I like it also.
        It's definitely a "start with all knobs at noon" kind of pedal. Doesn't need the knobs jacked-up to have more than enough of everything.
        Most people would instantly dismiss a digital distortion pedal, but this thing is great IMO for the boosted-recto tone from a clean channel.
        Nail on head! "Boosted Recto tone"

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

          Originally posted by shupe13 View Post
          I had one some years ago. It was pretty hard core. Try it through your effects loop.

          Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
          I've tried it through the FX loop but didn't find it as good as thru the front. Tried my Marshall 6100LM loop first but felt that thru the front was better. Unless there's another trick to making it sound better through the loop? Ola did a video of the controversial Metal Zone pedal and his video showed it was better sounding thru the loop rather than thru the front where it sounded terrible...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

            No trick. I don't have one anymore and I too saw Ola's video, so I'm going to try everything through the loop from now on just to see.
            Originally posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
            I've tried it through the FX loop but didn't find it as good as thru the front. Tried my Marshall 6100LM loop first but felt that thru the front was better. Unless there's another trick to making it sound better through the loop? Ola did a video of the controversial Metal Zone pedal and his video showed it was better sounding thru the loop rather than thru the front where it sounded terrible...
            Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

              Originally posted by shupe13 View Post
              No trick. I don't have one anymore and I too saw Ola's video, so I'm going to try everything through the loop from now on just to see.

              Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
              OK cool. This might be worth a whole new thread to get as many opinions and results as possible. Thus far I was not happy with the results via the loop but I did run my Zoom '80's multi FX pedal thru the loop at the same time. Not sure if that may somehow affect the drive's path/signal/performance in any way. I've two valve amps to experiment with.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

                I like most gain pedals into the front better. The extra EQing you get through the front makes it much easier to get dialed-in to taste IMO.

                If the pedal has controls for mids and presence then the loop can work good too, and some amps do have the presence post-loop instead of preamp, so that helps.

                Tube amps that have a pre-gain control on the cleans can really help warm the tone on some distortion pedals.

                I did try the ML-2 through a couple different loops and IMO it sounded more "sterile" compared to the fat thick tone I get in front, plus it's much more adjustable in front.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

                  Make sure you try it as preamp by plugging it in to the effects return jack.
                  Don't run it "through the loop" like a traditional effects loop .

                  I watched Chappers and the Captain blindfold test demo a bunch of pedals, and the Metalcore was in the top three. It really impressed them and out performed some higher end pedals.
                  Last edited by Van Noord; 08-31-2018, 03:47 AM.



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

                    Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                    Make sure you try it as preamp by plugging it in to the effects return jack.
                    Don't run it "through the loop" like a traditional effects loop .

                    I watch Chappers and the Captain blindfold test demo a bunch of pedals, and the Metalcore was in the top three. It really impressed them and out performed some higher end pedals.
                    Yeah good point. I posted "through the loop" too but I actually did mean into the return not really through the loop.
                    In general though, having a bit of 12ax7 action after the pedal really adds a juicy harmonic enhancement that is absent when you go into the return straight to the power section.
                    Some of the "preamp pedals" have plenty of tone shaping built-in but IMO running into the return would be more of a possible advantage when using solid-state amps.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

                      Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                      Yeah good point. I posted "through the loop" too but I actually did mean into the return not really through the loop.
                      In general though, having a bit of 12ax7 action after the pedal really adds a juicy harmonic enhancement that is absent when you go into the return straight to the power section.
                      Some of the "preamp pedals" have plenty of tone shaping built-in but IMO running into the return would be more of a possible advantage when using solid-state amps.
                      It really depends on the poweramp. Some sound better than others with a preamp pedal. Something I discovered with my Diezel VH4 pedal after trying it through a number of different amp's return jacks.



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

                        Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                        I like most gain pedals into the front better. The extra EQing you get through the front makes it much easier to get dialed-in to taste IMO.

                        If the pedal has controls for mids and presence then the loop can work good too, and some amps do have the presence post-loop instead of preamp, so that helps.

                        Tube amps that have a pre-gain control on the cleans can really help warm the tone on some distortion pedals.

                        I did try the ML-2 through a couple different loops and IMO it sounded more "sterile" compared to the fat thick tone I get in front, plus it's much more adjustable in front.
                        +1 for the extra EQ'ing of the preamp by running a pedal in the front.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

                          Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                          Make sure you try it as preamp by plugging it in to the effects return jack.
                          Don't run it "through the loop" like a traditional effects loop .

                          I watch Chappers and the Captain blindfold test demo a bunch of pedals, and the Metalcore was in the top three. It really impressed them and out performed some higher end pedals.
                          Hang on, this makes more sense now! So basically I'd run my guitar into the pedal as usual then the output of the pedal into the RETURN of the FX loop at the back but nothing in the SEND? Would this actually work? I ask because if the loop's send and return inputs are not connected at the same time, the amp is quiet (signal break).

                          How would I use my modulation FX pedal in the loop while running the ML2 thru the loop with the method you mentioned? I'd assume the FX pedal will connect to the SEND of the amp?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

                            Yes, you plug you guitar into the pedal and then plug the pedal straight into the effect return jack. Be careful - on my amp that puts the signal at full volume! I start with the pedal volume adjusted very low at first.
                            Nothing gets plugged into the front OR the effects send jacks. If you want modulation pedals you put them before or after the other pedal, either guitar>modulation>distortion>amp effects return jack or guitar>distortion>modulation>effect return jack

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

                              You can try it into the return and place the mod pedal either before or after the ML-2 (which ever side of the gain you usually run your mods), but my bet is that you'll miss having more control over the mids and entire EQ spectrum.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X