Fortin Zuul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fortin Zuul

So I received the Zuul yesterday and had a small time to mess with it.

I had it placed in the FX loop, I then used a splitter cable going into the key jack and the other side going into the input of my Shaffer Replica, with guitar going to the female side of the splitter cable. From the output of the SR I went into my MXR 78 badass and output of the badass into the amp (Bugera 1969 Infinium).

When I turned everything one it was dead silent. Normally when I turn everything on with that amp or my DSL40C I get that high gain hiss (for lack of a better term).

I played a few notes and they all sounded normal BUT that high gain hiss also was present. Now this is the first noise gate I have ever used so I am not sure if it is normal or not although I would expect it to be.

I played a bit with the only control it has which opens and shuts the gate at different times and will need to play with it some more to see where I like it.

I also tried guitar-Zuul-SR-MXR-amp and as expected I had the high gain hiss present at all times. Again I did not hear any changes to the sound of the guitar but have read lining the Zuul up front tightens up the low end so that is something I want to check.

Also, this amp has a “Level” button and is described as:
    “LEVEL switch optimally adapts the FX LOOP to
    the operating level of the external effects device connected (+4 dBV or -10 dBV). The higher level is for studio effects devices, the lower level for floor pedals.” So I am running it in the -10dBV setting.

I will write some more when I have more time with it in the system.

Fortin Zuul

Well the first thing to do is get rid of all the extras and only run the gate in the loop...see what happens and experiment with the controls.
    Then you can start adding more to the signal chain. One at a time.

Comment

Re: Fortin Zuul

Thank you very much for the reply and tips to try.

I should be able to do that this weekend.

Comment

Yes, if you are using a lot of gain, everything, including the hiss comes through when the gate is open. That's exactly what it is, a "gate", it's either open or shut. It's quiet when you aren't playing though, correct?

Comment

Dead silent when not playing.

I figured that was what was happening when I played, I opened the gate so everything is coming through. It was just very strange to hear it that way. As I have never had a noise gate before I was not sure how things would sound. But at least with a “noise gage”, it pretty much tells you how it works just in the name.

Glad I purchased it and look forward to so more testing with it.

Anyone else on here have this pedal?

Comment

I think for things to to work properly, a Zuul gatekeeper needs a keymaster of Gozer. Right?
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Close, depends on how the gatekeeper wants to use it.

Comment

Working...
              X