banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stereo delay users: Is ping pong simply two echoes with different delay times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo delay users: Is ping pong simply two echoes with different delay times?

I was watching a video where Brian May was explaining how he achieved his famous harmonized delay sounds: Two delays, a short on hist first amp and a long one on his second amp, set them to a single repeat and voila. Ain't that the same thing as a ping pong delay? I mean, that is how it sounds to me. Almost all ping pong delays I have tried are digital but then maybe I can use a couple of nice sounding analog delays with different settings to achieve a much nicer (and expensive ) ping pong delay. I know it is not cost effective as having two nice analog delay pedals is quite close to having a Strymon like El Capistan or TimeLine or maybe an Andromeda pedal which are way more versatile but hey we guitar players like to throw out money on analog delays anyway, right?

Any thoughts? Someone already doing this?
    Who took my guitar?

Re: Stereo delay users: Is ping pong simply two echoes with different delay times?

i thought ping pong delay switched off on the left & right channels for each repeat.

Comment

Re: Stereo delay users: Is ping pong simply two echoes with different delay times?

I think mig50 is right, a ping pong just alternates the delays between 2 sides. To do the Brian May thing you will need two independent delays, or a delay that can do two different times simultaneously.

Of course, delay is only going to delay a single note/chord, you'll need more than that to create harmonies.

Comment

If you want two delays, one in the left channel at, say 250ms and one in the right channel at 500ms, then yes that’s a Ping Ping Delay with two repeats. If you want different delay times, you either need dual delay with independent times or like what you say, two individual delays.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Ping pong alternates delays. I know Allan Holdsworth was using up to 8 delays at once set to different times for his chordal chorus sounds.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X