banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can AC Power- On Light Indicaters Cause Noise In Audio ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can AC Power- On Light Indicaters Cause Noise In Audio ?

I'm building a pedal board that has a strip in the inside back to accept transformers rather than spending $ for isolated power supply. I wanted to build a switch into it that illuminates (either LED or Neon switch light) to indicate the board is plugged in. Somewhere I remember reading (I think it was in reference to amplifiers) that the light indicating power is on can cause a hum, or perhaps it was the light can cause a hum when it needs to be replaced? I can't recall. But of course my concern is if you wire a power-on indicator light switch of some kind in the AC power source for your stomp boxes it's going to create noise.

Before I experiment, does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is it better to just leave the power-on light switch out?

Re: Can AC Power- On Light Indicaters Cause Noise In Audio ?

In a proper design, the light should not contribute any noise. I can't even imagine an "improper" design in this context. The worlds most esoteric power amps have power lights.

Comment

Thanks for a reply. I experimented with the switch already. It has a neon light. I hear no audible noise on a circuit with the switch. I must have been confused with the kind of noise light dimmers and fluorescent lights can make. This kind of switch is not a problem at all:

Comment

do you plan to use fluorescent lights
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I’ve never seen a switch with one copper, one tin and one brass terminal before. I wonder if it’s to show that any option is available.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
          X