Boss Metal Zone Waazzzaaaa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss Metal Zone Waazzzaaaa!

Fortunate to receive a couple of pedals under the Christmas tree this year. Boss DM2 and Boss MT2 Waza pedals. I was expecting the analog delay to be awesome, which it is. But what really surprised me was the Waza Metal Zone.

When I think of Metal Zone, I think of my teenage self trying to crank out James Hetfield, Zack Wylde and Dimebag riffs through a crappy solid state practice amp. One of my friends remarked that it sounded like opening a shaken can of coke in a beehive. Let's just say I never made much of an impact in the world of metal.

Fast forward many years, I've settled into my bluesy, classic 70s/80s rock, weekend jam band kinda style, but I still love metal and shred guitar. So when I found out these guys were being manufactured in Japan with a 'custom' setting I had to have one.

Plugged into a clean Fender tube amp, grabbed my Seymour Duncan loaded Charvel, hooked up the pedal on Standard setting and .... ah yes, oh dear, just how I remembered. Hmm. So much potential but still that fizz.

Switched to the Custom setting. Riff riff, solo, attempt at shredding. Damn this is amazing! I'm really enjoying this. More open, clear, the EQ switches are usable through their range. Still pretty compressed next to an OD pedal but getting some great tones. Add the DM2, sounds awesome. This thing gets some great 80s shred tones too. Start jamming to Alice Cooper Poison intro, wife shouts up it sounds just like the recording. Scoop the mids a bit and riff out to some Metallica. Play with the EQ and add back the delay and we are into Satriani/Vai territory. Very versatile and powerful EQ. Really nice lead tones.

Really enjoying this pedal. The new Waza version with the Custom setting is a big improvement. Much more versatile and can cover a range of rock and metal tones. Looking forward to exploring further and maybe scare my blues/rock jam buddies if I get the chance.

Re: Boss Metal Zone Waazzzaaaa!

Have you seen that video where Ola Englund runs a Metal Zone into the effects return of his head? I'm not much of a metal guy anymore, but it sounds badass.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      Have you seen that video where Ola Englund runs a Metal Zone into the effects return of his head? I'm not much of a metal guy anymore, but it sounds badass.
      Yeah, when you search for badass a picture of Ola Englund appears I've always thought the Metal Zone had a lot of potential and with the Waza Custom setting I think they've nailed it. This is useful for amps with no effects loop.

Comment

Cool!
        I have been considering a mt2w. I have a analogman modded one so I don't know how much difference there would be.

Comment

I always run the lows and highs at 1'o clock with the mids right around there as well... then I'll tweak the amp's EQ to dial it in. Gets rid of a lot of the coke and bees.

The gain is about 2 o clock or 60%-ish
          87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X