Can't figure out this OCD style pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't figure out this OCD style pedal

I've got an EHX OD Glove (Fulltone OCD clone) and its confusing the hell out of me. I've run it as so:

1: Into EVH 100 w
    • Sparkling clean green channel, both 9 & 18v mode.
    • Slightly dirty blue channel, just past point of breakup, 9v mode.
    • Overdriven blue (gain somewhere past noon), both 9 & 18v.
    • Red channel, from noon til about 3 - just layers and layers of distortion, both 9 & 18v mode.
    2: Into super crappy 90's solid state practice combo with 5 inch speaker
    3: Same crappy combo but with T.Rex Mudhoney after Glove
    4: Same crappy combo but with Mudhoney before Glove
    • Into the EVH clean channel it basically just does the clean boost thing unless I crank the pedal gain. Then it sounds like an awful, farting dirty boost.
    • Into the blue channel it sounds awful as well, unless pedal gain is completely rolled back. Like farting through a broken speaker.
    • Into the red channel it works alright as a solo boost, even with gain up.
    • Into crappy practice combo I can roll the gain all the way up and get a decent OD sound. No farting, no broken speaker.
    • Into Mudhoney I get a pretty nice fuzz, actually. Not bad at all, considering I generally don't like fuzzes.
    • With Mudhony into Glove, I get an even more extreme fuzz. Still not bad, but this seems counter intuitive to me, since the Glove is supposed to have more headroom?

Anybody care to explain to me why I'm getting the ****ty results I'm getting? I would've thought for sure the Glove would be even worse with the practice amp than my fancy 100w head, what with all the extra headroom in both amp and pedal. But nope.

Guitar tuned way down to C. Both Glove and Mudhoney cranked on the gain and volume cranked on first pedal in the chain when plugged into ****ty combo.
    Last edited by Coma; 01-25-2019, 12:52 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Can't figure out this OCD style pedal

I had a different OCD-alike pedal back when I had a DSL50 head and never heard a fart-like sound from it, I found it tight but not like the reduced bass of tube screamers....
    Color me perplexed.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

Defective? I never played a Glove but I had the Joyo version and it had plenty of decent settings & sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
        Defective? I never played a Glove but I had the Joyo version and it had plenty of decent settings & sounds.
        No idea. Have nothing to compare it to.
        --------------------------------------------------------
        1973 Aria 551
        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

It could be that your pickups are too hot and are slamming the pedal's input in a way it wasn't designed to be.
          I had this issue with my V3 OCD. I could only use it as a relative clean boost on a dirty channel. If I tried to stack it with another pedal, or use the pedal's standalone gain into a clean channel, it mushed and farted out. This was with JB type pickups, EMGs, Blackouts, Black Winter level pickups.
          Last edited by Van Noord; 01-26-2019, 02:48 AM.
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

You'd think 18v would help a little but perhaps it's not the best circuit for down tuning
            Perhaps ditch it and look for... Something with some bass cut to keep things from flubbing out?
            A lot of people recommend when down tuning to use more level boost than added distortion/drive, to let the multiple stages of your amp do more subtle clipping and shaping over a few stages. Different from clipping hard at one stage...
            Distortion clips the signal... Clipping a bassy signal too hard is going to give you flub/fart. You have to generate the harmonics and compress the signal to get crunchy but you have to watch it on the bass end which is why a lot of dudes seem to recommend tube screamer variants (especially ones with added controls for bass and treble) for down tuning.
            I don't down tune much so take that for what it's worth I suppose. Something to consider.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X