Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most overrated pedal or type of pedal

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    My first distortion pedal was a black Ross I bought new in 1983 or so.
    My first distortion was a tan ROSS I bought around 1979, I still use it. It sounds a lot like an MXR D+ with a little less gain and grit.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      My first distortion was a tan ROSS I bought around 1979, I still use it. It sounds a lot like an MXR D+ with a little less gain and grit.

The JHS YouTube channel had an episode for op-amp distortion pedals and I'm pretty sure that exact same pedal was on it.

Sounded phenomenal. As you say, like a slightly fatter D+.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

That is the version just before the one I had. I don't know if they sound the same or not; I believe my version was made in Taiwan? It sounded really good on but TERRIBLE off. Like Diego said, it was like rolling the tone down to 1 or 2 when it was off. If that thing had true bypass I would have never sold it but I wanted bright cleans and thick distortion sounds and it kind of gave me the exact opposite!
        Last edited by Dave Locher; 04-25-2019, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
          The most overrated pedal, hands down, no debate, mic drop ...

thats actually a damn good tube screamer

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            thats actually a damn good tube screamer
            Pretty sure it's a slightly tweaked version of the pedal you just bought from me.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I think the Overrated Special is a modified Green Rhino ... which is a modified Tube Screamer.

Comment

I’m going to be the fourth person in a row that says it’s a Tube Screamer.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm amazed when a pedal company makes an oversized casing, or names a pedal something silly or describing how fat of huge it is, or names it something that has the word tone or vintage that this becomes the barometer for how good the pedal is.

Marketing in pedal world is suuuuper effective.

If I built a clone TS with a 100hz switch and called it "Traditional Silicon Diode Distortion Box w/ bass boost" -nobody would laude how awesome it was, but if I called it "Vintage TrueFat Tube Monster" -people will testify to it's greatness.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    True by-pass on any pedal. I never knew my tone sucked until I was told it did by True-Believers in True-Bypass.

Funny thing - none of the tones I aspire to had true bypass. Probably propaganda from Strymon
                    It was Mike Fuller (Fulltone) in ~1995-ish at the beginning of the "boutique" pedal craze that started the big deal about TB. Hard to believe how many pedal companies have started in <25 years.

Comment

• Re: Most overrated pedal or type of pedal

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                      I'm amazed when a pedal company makes an oversized casing, or names a pedal something silly or describing how fat of huge it is, or names it something that has the word tone or vintage that this becomes the barometer for how good the pedal is.

If I built a clone TS with a 100hz switch and called it "Traditional Silicon Diode Distortion Box w/ bass boost" -nobody would laude how awesome it was, but if I called it "Vintage TrueFat Tube Monster" -people will testify to it's greatness.
                      but also, interesting, this doesn't seam to matter with amps and guitars like it does pedals. people literally do not give 2 sh*ts what a new model guitar's model naming style or number designation is
                      Last edited by NegativeEase; 04-25-2019, 05:05 PM.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Or just cut to the chase and call it the:

Can't imagine anyone who would do that!

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          Or just cut to the chase and call it the:

Can't imagine anyone who would do that!
                          Ha. perfect. don't get me wrong many of the types of monstrosities are all that are advertised -but you can bet that if there are just a good OD -people will still say they are stellar.

It' all about feelings, relationships, and emotional attachment with pedals that matters.

Comment

It's amazing how .marketing works. If I made a copy of NCIS centered around religiously motivated killers called "Generic Crime Drama, But This Time With Some Churches" it will sell considerably less than if I named it "God And Guns: Retribution".
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                              It's amazing how .marketing works. If I made a copy of NCIS centered around religiously motivated killers called "Generic Crime Drama, But This Time With Some Churches" it will sell considerably less than if I named it "God And Guns: Retribution".
                              Well, that's a bit overboard as your actually making fun of it -so I get the sarcasm.

-with pedals emotional attachment is everything is the point -so marketing can have a field day.

Comment

Ha. perfect. don't get me wrong many of the types of monstrosities are all that are advertised -but you can bet that if there are just a good OD -people will still say they are stellar.

It' all about feelings, relationships, and emotional attachment with pedals that matters.
                                Hi, nice to meet your, my name is Roger. At least they didn't want to call it the Super Duper Fatterer Box!

Comment

Working...
                                X