banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to combine a preamp pedal with a 4CM setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to combine a preamp pedal with a 4CM setup?

Hi,

Current setup is a helix helix fx with an amp in 4CM so I can decide in the hx if a pedal goes in front of the amp or in the loop.

Now I was wondering, if I wanted to introduce a preamp pedal like a v twin or tube man or Liverpool, is that even possible? And I mean with the same capabilities so that essentially when I want to, the preamp pedal replaces the amps preamp but all the effects still are in the same place in front or either in the loop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Possible to combine a preamp pedal with a 4CM setup?

Yes, just as you stated put the preamp in place of the amps preamp in the 4CM.

Comment

Maybe I should’ve been more clear: i want to be able to switch between the pedal and amp’s preamp as well.

Comment

Start with a loop switcher. Could be a Boss LS-2, could be a One Control White Loop, could be many others. What you want is the ability to flip flop between two loops. Then you’ll want to cable it like this:

Guitar -> Pedals in front of the amp/Preamp -> Loop Switcher Input
        Loop Switcher Loop 1 Send -> Preamp Pedal Input
        Preamp Pedal Output -> Loop Switcher Loop 1 Return
        Loop Switcher Loop 2 Send -> Amplifier Input
        Amplifier Effects Loop Send -> Loop Switcher Loop 2 Return
        Loop Switcher Out -> Pedals in the effects loop -> Amplifier Effects Loop Return

Keep the loop switcher engaged all the time. By swapping between A and B you are changing between the Preamp Pedal and the Amp’s Preamp.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by arten View Post
          Maybe I should’ve been more clear: i want to be able to switch between the pedal and amp’s preamp as well.
          A switcher would work like PFD said. You might also be able to put the preamp in one of the loops and the amp's preamp in another loop and switch between them(?) I haven't used a Helix so I can't I'm not sure, I do use a GT-1000 and am pretty sure I could make that work.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
            A switcher would work like PFD said. You might also be able to put the preamp in one of the loops and the amp's preamp in another loop and switch between them(?) I haven't used a Helix so I can't I'm not sure, I do use a GT-1000 and am pretty sure I could make that work.
            I didn’t realize the HX Effects had loops, I bet that would work great.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That is how you do the 4CM, you put the amp's preamp in the loop. Since the Helix has 2 loops, theoretically you should be able switch between loop 1 and loop 2, but again, I haven't used one so I don't know exactly how to do that. I could set it up on the GT-1K.

Comment

Thanks For the input. Depending on how easy it is to switch between loops the hx might indeed suffice, though I think i will have to program it into every patch or bank.

Comment

Working...
                X