NPD: Boss OD-3 Overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Boss OD-3 Overdrive

After unsuccessfully trying the TC MojoMojo in my guitar rig, I decided to let it go rather than keeping it, even though it did work nicely in the bass rig. Nice overdrive, not for me.

Enter in the Boss OD-3. I've read a lot of nice reviews about it and watched a really good comparison video between it and its cousin, the OD-1. I've tried pretty much all the Boss overdrives over the years and I have to say, aside from the old OD-1, the OD-3 is the best, IMO. This is what I was looking for. It doesn't get muddy (unless you're pushing the drive max in to an overly saturated amp and at that point, anything will get muddy), the Tone control actually has a usable range, the Level, even at noon, provides a nice kick in volume.

I'm running my amp with a nice crunchy breakup that cleans up well and use the OD-3 to put it in the higher gain territory. The only problem I have is whether I want my amp on the 70's JMP or the 80's JCM setting (see the Vox AV30 for details). Both sound good with it. It arrived yesterday afternoon and I literally got home, unboxed it and took it to rehearsal. The band setting was the first use after I dialed it in. Fiddled with it a little bit early on when we got going but I think I found the optimal setting.

Boss does it again.

Re: NPD: Boss OD-3 Overdrive

I've always liked the OD series of boss pedals. My tastes have leaned more towards the BD-2 because it's got a particular snarl to the sound that I like, but I'd be happy to use an OD as well.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The OD-3 (and BD-2) are cool pedals, and pretty similar. Both use a discrete FETs instead of opamps for the gain stages.

Comment

I need to try an OD-3 some day.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          I need to try an OD-3 some day.

Comment

OD3 is real sleeper/under-rated pedal
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Congrats!

Originally posted by devastone View Post
              The OD-3 (and BD-2) are cool pedals, and pretty similar. Both use a discrete FETs instead of opamps for the gain stages.
              So that means the OD-3 is very different from the SD-1, then? Do they mix the clean signal with the distorted signal as well?

I really like my SD-1, but I always end up finding it doesn't have enough juice even with the level maxed to reach unity gain with hot pickups.

Comment

Yes, the OD-3 circuit is very different from the SD-1, at it's core the SD-1 is basically a tube screamer with asymmetrical clipping. The OD-3 doesn't mix the clean signal in, not a Klon-ish circuit, but it is more in the distortion pedal vein IMHO, it has a couple of symmetrical sets of diodes that hard clip instead of the diodes in the feedback loop like in the SD and TS and the hundreds of variants. Both are very cool pedals and the OD-3 is much smoother than a DS-1 type circuit. It's been a while since I've used one, but I think it should give you more output than the SD-1, worth a shot if you can find one used for a good deal.

Comment

There's a few different diode types in the OD-3 but from what I can tell on the schematic, the main ones are the 1N4001 diodes in D6/D7 after the drive pot and the 1N914 diodes in D10/11 before it. The 1N4001 are my favorite in the SD-1 and DS-1. More headroom, smoother and warmer drive.

The OD-3 is highly underrated, IMO. I'm surprised it's not in the stores more. One shop local to me carries it and they were out. All the GC's didn't have it. I ended up ordering it from Chicago Music Exchange on Reverb w/ free 2-day shipping. Great place to do business with.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 05-03-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Pretty sure the diodes in the OD-3 are just generic 1N914 silicone. I could be wrong, but all the schematics I've seen are 1N914s, not sure I've seen any Boss pedals that use anything else.

Comment

The one I was looking at specified 1N4001 in D6/D7. Knowing me, I'll open it up later and look at the innards. I was that kid that took apart new toys to see how they worked.

Comment

Nice!
                        The BD-2 and OD-3 is in the same family as the old Turbo Overdrive OD-2 and OD-2r.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          I was that kid that took apart new toys to see how they worked.
                          Weren't we all??

Comment

Any pedal that gets a parallel with the Blues Driver, I know I'll like. Haven't tried an OD3 and now I know I have to.

The BD2 is the ****ing greatest.
                            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I used to own an OD 3 and sold it years ago. Maybe I should give it another go. By the way Erik what happened to your info page on the Jcm 900 Mik iii? It doesn’t seem to be available anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X