Pedal problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal problem

Hi...i have a problem with my pedals. I'm using mxr distortion+ and recently bought Digitech Bad Monkey. Mxr worked with battery but bad monkey didn't work at all. I bought it from one guy and when i tried it there it worked with adapter. Today i bought adapter but the pedals don't work. The LED works but there is no sound. And now the mxr doesn't work with battery too. The LED works, there is clean sound from amp but there is no sound of the distortion...any ideas? I'm using Fender Mustang 1 amp...i know it's not a good amp for pedals but the pedals should work...

Re: Pedal problem

Have you checked your cables?

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN FUZZY View Post
      Hi...i have a problem with my pedals. I'm using mxr distortion+ and recently bought Digitech Bad Monkey. Mxr worked with battery but bad monkey didn't work at all. I bought it from one guy and when i tried it there it worked with adapter. Today i bought adapter but the pedals don't work. The LED works but there is no sound. And now the mxr doesn't work with battery too. The LED works, there is clean sound from amp but there is no sound of the distortion...any ideas? I'm using Fender Mustang 1 amp...i know it's not a good amp for pedals but the pedals should work...
      So the Bad Monkey has never worked since you've had it? Have you tried the MXR with the battery installed but without the DC adapter plugged in? In most pedals the plugging in a DC adapter with 'over-ride' the the battery in terms how the pedal get power. What adapter did you buy?

Comment

Are you sure you have the correct adapters (center+\-) and they are providing enough mA to power the pedals?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          Are you sure you have the correct adapters (center+\-) and they are providing enough mA to power the pedals?
          That's was my next question. Try both pedals with just a battery and see if they work. If they do, it's most likely the adapter being the wrong polarity or enough mA.

Comment

I bought universal adapter. 9V, 1500 mA. Bad monkey worked with adapter when i tried it at that guys place, from who i bought it. I tried it at my home later with baterry and it didn't work. MXR worked with battery perfectly, and then Ibiught adapter. BM doesn't have sound at all. No clean amp sound, no overdrive, nothing. Only LED works. MXR doesn't work with adapter,also only LED, but with battery it has only clean amp sound but no distortion when i press it. I don't think it's cabels,then it wouldn't have clean sound at all...

Comment

Check the polarity of the adapter. Since it's universal adapter it may be center + which is usual for many applications outside guitar pedals, which are center - mostly.

There's a chance of you pedal getting damaged, because of the wrong polarity.

EDIT: Since the LED works I still suspect your audio cables or jacks. Try move them around to see if you get a sound.
              Last edited by Jacew; 05-11-2019, 03:05 PM.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I bought universal adapter. 9V, 1500 mA. Bad monkey worked with adapter when i tried it at that guys place, from who i bought it. I tried it at my home later with baterry and it didn't work. MXR worked with battery perfectly, and then Ibiught adapter. BM doesn't have sound at all. No clean amp sound, no overdrive, nothing. Only LED works. MXR doesn't work with adapter,also only LED, but with battery it has only clean amp sound but no distortion when i press it. I don't think it's cabels,then it wouldn't have clean sound at all...
                That adapter is more than adequate in regards to meeting the power requirements for those pedals. From what I understand, the Bad Monkey has a buffered jfet bypass similar to a Boss pedal, so if there are power issues then no sound at all will pass to the amp. Not 100% sure how the MXR is bypassed. Did the universal adapter come with more than one plug option like shown below or a fixed plug:

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	5814043

If so, the polarity is determined by which way the 2.1mm plug head is connected to the power cable. Hopefully, there is some polarity protection built into the pedals to protect them from what Jacew has mentioned. But it isn't always the case.

Comment

Tried the cables with amp and guitar only and the y work. Adapter came with 6 different plugs...Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_092821.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	5814058

Comment

This is how I used it...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Disconnect everything and try again. Just for the sake of it.

Then if you have multimeter, check the output of adapter. From the picture it should work.

Could the MXR be designed for unregulated adapters like Boss ACA? Then you would need 12v to power it, even though it says 9v.

But since the Bad Monkey doesn't work either, It may be the adapter itself is just dud.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                        Disconnect everything and try again. Just for the sake of it.

Then if you have multimeter, check the output of adapter. From the picture it should work.

Could the MXR be designed for unregulated adapters like Boss ACA? Then you would need 12v to power it, even though it says 9v.

But since the Bad Monkey doesn't work either, It may be the adapter itself is just dud.
                        What he said.

Comment

Thanks for help... I'll also try my friends adapter that he is using...

Comment

Thanks for help... I'll also try my friends adapter that he is using...
                            Let us know how you get on with your friend's adapter.

Comment

I tried today pedals with my friends adapter and they work. It looks like mine isn't giving them enough power or something (I'm not an expert). Now I just have to return it to the store on Monday and get another one

Comment

Working...
                              X