Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with pedalboard

Hi guys
    I have an intermittent problem with my pedalboard. Sometime a drop of volume happens. It seems like I roll down the volume of the guitar. The chain is pretty simple: a boss tu3, mxr gtod, tc electronic mini sparkle, boss ce-5, Morley little alligator, tc electronic flashback 2. All pedals are powered by a true tone cs12. I have already checked all cables, all connections and it seems ok. Any thoughts?

Re: Problem with pedalboard

If your power is good to each pedal (make sure there are no batteries in your pedals too)

my first suspect would be the Morley Volume -those pots can get dirty and weird -I've seen it lots.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Are you playing a tube amp?
      My JCM800 does that when it’s telling me it needs new power tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        Oh yeah -amp -good point

OP -my advice is only worth anything after you've ruled out your amp.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          I had the same occurrence with a JCM800 and a fender twin reverb

Comment

if the amps work fine without the pedal board then go through each pedal till you find the one thats causing the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              If your power is good to each pedal (make sure there are no batteries in your pedals too)

my first suspect would be the Morley Volume -those pots can get dirty and weird -I've seen it lots.
              Always a good starting point. Some electronic contact cleaner should sort it out if that is indeed the problem. From the schematic, the pot is connected to the LEDs the work in conjunction with the LDR to control the volume level is if the pot is not functioning as it should, the volume with change. The pot is a 100k linear so easy to source it did need replacing.
              Last edited by BlakeC27; 06-17-2019, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                if the amps work fine without the pedal board then go through each pedal till you find the one thats causing the issue.
                +1

I've also seen the volume drop caused by a patch cable that wasn't making good contact.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  Both amps work properly without the pedalboard. Each pedal seems ok. What I noted is that the issue appears while the overdrive is in

Comment

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
                    Both amps work properly without the pedalboard. Each pedal seems ok. What I noted is that the issue appears while the overdrive is in
                    Just Guitar-Cable-OD pedal-Cable-Amp? Or still on the board running through everything else?

Comment

Does the MXR have a “standard” stomp switch? I’ve had a few fail like that where you just kind of lose volume or signal. It happened when it was engaged and disengaged, but a few stomps would fix it. Obviously after the switch was replaced the issue disappeared.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I spent a couple of hours last night trying to isolate the problem and trying to replicate the failure. It appears randomly but it is definitely the OD. Without it in pedalboard all is Ok. And even in guitar cable OD cable amp the failure sometimes occurs. Don't know what is the problem but it's the OD. Need a replacement and more time to investigate the root cause

Comment

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
                          I spent a couple of hours last night trying to isolate the problem and trying to replicate the failure. It appears randomly but it is definitely the OD. Without it in pedalboard all is Ok. And even in guitar cable OD cable amp the failure sometimes occurs. Don't know what is the problem but it's the OD. Need a replacement and more time to investigate the root cause
                          Try some contact cleaner on the foot switch of the pedal. If you can get a can with a fine nozzle and spray it into the gap between the threaded bush and the actuator of the foot switch i.e. the part to press to turn it on and off that might do the trick. I just remembered that I repaired a MXR Distortion + that did something similar and that fixed the issue.

Comment

I wonder if it is a power issue with the OD? What if you power it from a battery?
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              I wonder if it is a power issue with the OD? What if you power it from a battery?
                              Or a completely separate power supply?

Comment

Working...
                              X