No announcement yet.

Antique store score! (crybaby content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique store score! (crybaby content)

Found this at an antique store in Orange, CA. It's not vintage but it IS brand spankin' new and it was a screamin' deal.

I wonder how it'll compare with my 535Q?

Click image for larger version

Name:	991D2447-5678-4BA7-901A-2A334FB27555.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	5851811
    Last edited by B2D; 07-18-2019, 08:50 PM.

Re: Antique store score! (crybaby content)

Cool. I love finding stuff like that in pawn/consignment/antique stores.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool...
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Nice!
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Cool, anything peculiar or different with the Cantrell one? maybe a little more whomp when fully open?

I would have love'd to be in that Jim Dunlop marketing meeting with Jerry, when they told him his name wasn't enough -we need to add "ALice" to it to sell some units...
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I often dream of finding a vintage Fuzz Face in such as place here in New Zealand and picking it up for a song because they didn't know what it was. But alas, my search goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              Cool, anything peculiar or different with the Cantrell one? maybe a little more whomp when fully open?

I would have love'd to be in that Jim Dunlop marketing meeting with Jerry, when they told him his name wasn't enough -we need to add "ALice" to it to sell some units...
              From what I read on the dunlop site, there's a little bit of a signal boost and the knob adjusts/lowers the toe-up frequency so it's easier to stay in a narrower/thicker range of wah tones.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                From what I read on the dunlop site, there's a little bit of a signal boost and the knob adjusts/lowers the toe-up frequency so it's easier to stay in a narrower/thicker range of wah tones.

Some (most?) of the Dunlop wahs have minor parts differences between models.
                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                  Some (most?) of the Dunlop wahs have minor parts differences between models.
                  I believe it.

I remember having a crybaby that was made in the era before printed circuit boards and I'd looked up circuit mods on the internet for it (this was in the early 2000s era internet) and modded it for a hotter signal, a wider, more aggressive sweep and I'd nudged the gear on the pot down a notch or two for a throatier sound and I had it dialed. I stupidly sold it for a 'better' wah.

I've only ever been able to get that sound with a 535Q again, and I like the fact that the range knob lets me tune the wah for the frequencies of specific guitars, but sometimes I just want to step on a wah and get a killer sound no matter what. A good chunk of the Dunlop signature wahs will do that. I've also tried the Morley Tremonti wah and it works well for that but the footprint is huge. I've never tried the Satriani signature wah from Vox, but he was using a 535Q for most of the tones I liked anyways.

Comment

Quick update:

I a/b'd this pedal with my 535Q, and long story short, I'm gonna keep the 535Q.

I really do like the Cantrell wah pedal though. It's really thick and middy sounding and the top end sweep rolloff makes it very easy to keep the wah pedal in that gulpy vocal range I like. The output seems pretty consistent with the pedal on vs. off.

That said, I like the range of options the 535Q has, as it allows me to tweak the wah pedal to suit the specific guitar or amp I'm using. Or if I feel like I want a higher sweep range or more boost that day, I can have it. The 535Q also has a bit of a clearer sound with not quite so much emphasis on the mids.

The important difference is that the sweep range of the Cantrell model is fixed and then the knob lowers the top end of that sweep and narrows it, wheras the range knob on the 535Q moved the sweep range from a lower to higher frequency breadth and then the intensity can be adjusted.

Overall, a killer pedal but I'm gonna stick with tried and true for now.

Anyone wanna buy it? It's up on reverb if you look closely.

EDIT: Sold it!
                    Last edited by B2D; 07-19-2019, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X