DIY Pedal Day (Rangemaster Clone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Pedal Day (Rangemaster Clone)

Decided to get into the pedal building world for fun, I stocked myself up for a good handful of builds so look out for these in the future. I decided to not go full kit route, but to get some pcb's that have some good documentation, source the parts myself, buy painted enclosures and drill / decal myself (one of my biggest issues with alot of DIY pedal builds is the laziness that goes into the aesthetics alot of the time). Learned alot on this first one (esp in the decal application department).

First up is a Rangemaster clone. Always wanted to give one of these a whirl. For those nerd inclined my supplier no longer has OC44's so I went with an OC71 which was also found in some original units. Also the LED is in the stomp switch ring:

Links to pictures incase they arn't showing:

Two major things I will keep in mind for the next build are:

-Don't use the LED ring until I figure out how to drill and notch for the wire properly
    -Don't use borders on the decal, and make sure to turn off the layer outlining knob sizes!

Other than that, for a first build I think it turned out well and it sounds great. The tone swith goes from treble boost to a mid then full boost (the last two are more 'fuzzy' than stock), I can see myself using stock for the most part but it would be cool to play with different capacitor values to taylor the switch more to my tastes (I'll still find a use for the other settings I'm sure). The graphic on the front is just the schematic mirrored FYI.
    Last edited by Kamanda~SD; 07-02-2019, 08:42 AM.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Re: DIY Pedal Day (Rangemaster Clone)

Once you start to get more comfortable with building pedals, one of the most fun things that you can do is start combining bits and pieces from different pedals, all the while tailoring them to work better together.

For the longest time I've had the idea for a Blues Driver/TS dual overdrive, but I've been working on mods to perfect each side before I get around to putting them in the same enclosure.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Looks like pictures arn't staying up...stay tuned.

Last edited by Kamanda~SD; 07-02-2019, 08:43 AM.

Comment

I'm involved in the same thing, working on a Klon clone, and also a Zen drive clone, I set my first board up as a test model, minus enclosure, to tweak certain components. Already have the enclosures, created a mechanical dimensioned enclosure drill drawing, now I'm working on the artwork...

Comment

Looks good!
          How much does it hiss? I bought one off of etsy that sounded great except it hissed like a waterfall. I wonder if that is common with these pedals or if it was just that unit? If they aren't usually so noisy I might try another one. (I believe mine was the same circuit as yours - it had the same three way tone switch.)

Comment

I haven't been able to test it as part of my full rig yet so not 100% sure. From what I have been able to run it through it definitely isn't the quietest pedal I own, but I didn't notice anything too crazy. The tone switch is a common mod with these to add some different flavours.

Comment

Awesome. Yeah they're a little noisy.

Rangemaster tone is frickin' schweet. And gotta love that hi-pass...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                Looks good!
                How much does it hiss? I bought one off of etsy that sounded great except it hissed like a waterfall. I wonder if that is common with these pedals or if it was just that unit? If they aren't usually so noisy I might try another one. (I believe mine was the same circuit as yours - it had the same three way tone switch.)
                We you running it with a DC power supply or off a battery?

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeC27 View Post
                  We you running it with a DC power supply or off a battery?
                  I think I tried it both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                    I think I tried it both ways.
                    I personally, like using batteries (the black Eveready 9-volt) for both fuzzes and treble booster type circuits. Using carbon composition resistors in a Rangemaster will create hiss as well as the transistor itself.

Comment

Every Rangemaster clone I've tried is hissy. I am guessing that is part of the sound- I've never tried an original.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Every Rangemaster clone I've tried is hissy. I am guessing that is part of the sound- I've never tried an original.
                        The circuit is a bit noisy. Maybe they should call it a hiss booster instead???

Comment

Looks like you have a somewhat of a Java Boost there. It has that same 3-way switch. I've done a couple RM clones myself, but with NPN transistors instead of PNP. Both of mine are still a bit hissy regardless. One was done on perf-board and the other one was done on tag board, like the original was done. It's been so long since I've used either of them. Haven't done that stuff in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            Looks like you have a somewhat of a Java Boost there. It has that same 3-way switch. I've done a couple RM clones myself, but with NPN transistors instead of PNP. Both of mine are still a bit hissy regardless. One was done on perf-board and the other one was done on tag board, like the original was done. It's been so long since I've used either of them. Haven't done that stuff in a long time.
                            Just out of interest, what transistors did you use for you PNP build?

Comment

Sweet....I've got a DIY rangemaster clone kit on the way as well..

Bought myself a kit from here..

The Range is a treblebooster based on the legendary Dallas Rangemaster It has the same features but some addons It works with a germanium PNP transistor a

..for about $20 + shipping

Always wanted to check them out & it looks simple enough to put together. Mine will probably go into my DIY solid state amp as a (switchable) fixed treble boost..
                              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X