Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about nodding pedals by changing pot values

Two questions (2 different pedals)
    1. Would changing the volume pot to a higher value increase the volume of the pedal? What about bypassing the volume pot?
    2. Would wiring a resistor across the terminals of the gain pot on a Rat clone decrease the overall gain, or at least change the curve enough to allow finer tuning in the low end of the range?

These are both hand wired pedals so changing the pots will not be difficult. I'm just not sure I am on the right track. If the answer to either question is yes then my next step is to open them up & find out what pots are already in there.
    Last edited by Dave Locher; 08-22-2019, 01:34 PM.

Re: Question about nodding pedals by changing pot values

!) Not exactly, but it will change the output impedance so you don't want to go too high.
    2) Off the top of my head, yes, but be prepared to experiment.

Comment

2) great! Would replacing the pot with a lower value work better?

1) I will have to read up on output impedance and why it matters.

Thanks!

Comment

Re: Question about modding pedals by changing pot values

2) no, it will hinder the operation of the pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My advice: if you're going to try to make up your own mods, learn some circuit theory rather than approaching it like sorcery

At least the basics: series and parallel resistances (including voltage dividers), capacitors (impedance). Look that stuff up and if you come back with more questions I'll be glad to help.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
          Last edited by ibanezrocks; 08-22-2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Not trying to invent the wheel, just taking shots in the dark.
            All I want to do is reduce the gain on a Rat clone. The gain knob's most useful range for me is all between zero and one. I would like it to sound exactly the same but have more knob travel between "zero distortion" and "a lot of distortion." It's just way too touchy and hard to dial into any sweet spot.
            I just opened it up. I was expecting to find a bunch of wires like my other hand built pedals and instead I have this:Click image for larger version

Name:	15665226592603197903156333967037.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	5816845
            If anyone familiar with this unit can tell me how to give me a more useful range of low to medium gain I would appreciate it. If it is over my head I will farm it out.

Comment

There isn't a lot to a Rat, but I wouldn't mess with the output pot, it won't affect the gain, it'll just screw with the output impedance. Try clipping a 100k resistor across the gain pot and see what that does for you, I'm not exactly sure what it will sound like but it won't hurt anything.

Comment

Is it possible? I know I am playing with perfection here, but any one do this, attempt this, have a good sounding mod to recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Also, I was just re-watching That Pedal Show when Josh Scott from JHS was on - I’m sure he mentioned at one point about people removing/changing the clipping of Rat pedals so they simply became really loud ODs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                    Perfect! THANK YOU.

Comment

The pot is a 100K reverse log IIRC, so a 100K resistor in parallel will make it essentially 50K at full gain. It will change the taper some but it's a pretty easy way to experiment. Per the TDRPI thread, a 22k will make it about 18K at full gain.

Comment

I nod yes to every pedal I see.

So yes -Nodding Pedals is encouraged.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          I nod yes to every pedal I see.

So yes -Nodding Pedals is encouraged.
                          HA! I tried to edit the title but it didn't stick for some reason. Or maybe I'm into shoegaze...

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                            The pot is a 100K reverse log IIRC, so a 100K resistor in parallel will make it essentially 50K at full gain. It will change the taper some but it's a pretty easy way to experiment. Per the TDRPI thread, a 22k will make it about 18K at full gain.
                            If this succeeds I will be very happy but as long as I don't destroy the board I won't be too upset if I can't pull it off - the pedal is usable to me the way it is but that sweet spot on the gain knob is TINY.
                            Incidentally, I am not going to mess with the other pedal - a Gov'ner clone. I love it too much and a slight potential increase in overall volume isn't worth any messing I might do with it.
                            As always, I appreciate all the help and advice.

Comment

So unfortunately all I had was a pack of 22k resistors. I tried one and it works exactly as promised! However, it is too much of a good thing. I am going to buy an assortment pack and try a 100k. If that's not ideal maybe a 47k will be goldilocks for me.

One last question: it seems to have the same effect when bridging the left tab and the middle vs the outer two tabs. Does it matter which way I install it?
                              Last edited by Dave Locher; 08-23-2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X