Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar pedal broken?

Hi all,
    I just recently got myself my first pedal, the Walrus Audio Emissary. I was super excited to use it so as soon as I got home I plugged it in. Now this issue might be due to something super obvious but I don't know why this is happening. So I have a cable running from my amp into the pedal, and then the pedal into my guitar. For the power supply I am using an AC adapter, and running it at 9V which is what the pedal needs apparently, however when I plug it in there is very loud white noise, and the pedal turns on and cannot be turned off unless the supply is pulled out. Not wanting to potentially damage the pedal I took it out and haven't tried anything since.
    If someone could please help me fix this issue that would be great.
    Thanks

Guitar pedal broken?

Best thing would be for you to upload a video.

Short of that at least pics of the pedal settings and how it's wired.

Walrus is solid so hopefully it's a silly thing we can figure out.

The adapter is specifically for pedals? That pedal uses 100ma which is quite a bit. Maybe also post a pic of the power supply.

What guitar and amp are you using?
    Last edited by Blille; 08-23-2019, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Re: Guitar pedal broken?

Thanks for the reply,

I'm out now but I'll see if I can get a picture later. My amp is a VoxAC15C1 alnico blue speaker and my guitar is an American Performer Strat

Comment

Thanks. That's a straightforward setup, not sure what could go wrong.

My suspect for now is the power adapter.

Comment

Yeah its definitely dodgy. Just found it in my cupboard recently.
          I'm just hoping its not the pedal.

Comment

Does it work with a battery?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yes. Try a battery if the pedal can use one. Then check the power supply. Is it regulated? Polarity? Again a photo would be helpful of the power supply itself show the information printed on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineapple360 View Post
                Lesson learned, I hope - pedal power is really important. Use the wrong voltage and/or polarity and you *could* fry your pedal for good (I do hope that hasn’t happened here).

As others have said, try battery (if the pedal can use one). If it needs to be powered from wall, check specs - I should think a One-Spot will be good enough for a start.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi all,
                  I just recently got myself my first pedal, the Walrus Audio Emissary. I was super excited to use it so as soon as I got home I plugged it in. Now this issue might be due to something super obvious but I don't know why this is happening. So I have a cable running from my amp into the pedal, and then the pedal into my guitar. For the power supply I am using an AC adapter, and running it at 9V which is what the pedal needs apparently, however when I plug it in there is very loud white noise, and the pedal turns on and cannot be turned off unless the supply is pulled out. Not wanting to potentially damage the pedal I took it out and haven't tried anything since.
                  If someone could please help me fix this issue that would be great.
                  Thanks
                  The power supply has to be a DC -9v power adapter. Probably fried the ICs, depending how n how long it was plugged in, everything else should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, as the guys said above. If it works fine with a battery then your power supply isn't matched.
                    Wackor
                    Ørdøg
                    NecroPolo
                    Diabolus in Musica
                    SIDrip Alliance
                    Book of Shadows
                    RKH

Comment

So?

Did you figure it out? Can’t leave us hanging! Lol

Comment

It also has to be the right polarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                          So?

Did you figure it out? Can’t leave us hanging! Lol
                          Ditto.

Comment

From the Walrus Audio website:

The use of an isolated power supply is recommended for powering all Walrus Audio Pedals. Daisy chain power supplies are not recommended. Power supply not included.

Since that, in my experience, is not a very commonly seen qualifier in an official pedal description I would suggest there may be a reason they include that.
                            I don't know.
                            I have not used a Walrus Audio pedal.
                            I have no experience with them BUT it does seem unusual to have that wording in the description.
                            I can tell you that from experience the only times I have ever encountered (non noise related) problems with a daisy chain supply are either because of too much current draw for the power supply to deliver or because one of the pedals is reverse polarity, sometimes seen in fuzz pedals.

Comment

Could it be a reversed polarity problem? You can cut the wires& then reconnect them in reverse order.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X