Blues jam pedalboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues jam pedalboard

Just found a local blues jam I'd like to start attending. I haven't played out in a long, long time, so I'm a little nervous about it. Figured bringing some gear I'm comfortable with would help, but I want to keep it a small footprint with quick setup.

My plan is to put together a little board with my D'Addario tuner, Crybaby, Tube Screamer mini, and Donner Revecho (on the way). The host said bringing amps is always encouraged, so my new Orange Micro Dark with a 12" cabinet I'm building (haven't decided 1 or 2x12 yet) seems like it'd be handy. It's a pretty low key environment, so I'm thinking about putting the MD head on the pedal board. That way I can put the Revecho in the MD's loop, but still only have one cable going from the board to the cabinet.

My question is two parts:

1) Is any of the above a dumb idea?

2) Is this decent etiquette for a jam?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Blues jam pedalboard

When I used to go to blues jams, the players generally frowned upon someone showing up with a whole bunch of gear. Real estate is generally at a premium, and I generally saw people bring a small 20 watt combo amp with no pedals.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks.

I’m gonna go watch tomorrow night and see how it operates. In the meantime, I guess I’ll spend some time going straight into the amp. Hauling that Super Reverb a few times will probably motivate me to build the cabinet.

Building the cabinet today, found an Eminence Legend GB 128 12" for $50 near work that I'm grabbing tomorrow.

Think I'm gonna cheat a little, since I don't turn the TS or reverb off, I'm gonna velcro them to the top of the cabinet with the amp head. Won't be any different than if the Orange had an OD and 'verb built in.
      Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 09-09-2019, 10:18 AM.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

ive been running a blues jam for 18 years. i dont encourage people to bring amps since the stage is pretty tight and i dont want to waste time watching someone fiddle with their gear. that said, as long as someone shows up and sets up quickly i dont really care what they bring. i always have amps and pedals setup and ready to go but if someone wants to swap something out and can do it quickly then its fine. it should be fun and easy for everyone and i understand wanting to use what is comfortable and familiar but no one wants to watch someone fuss with gear while they are waiting their turn to play

Comment

I spent a hour earlier with my PRS plugged straight into the Orange. With their awesome coil split and working the knobs, I may not worry about the TS. The Micro Dark has plenty of gain on tap, and sounds killer with the guitar’s volume rolled back for clean. Depending on how loud the drummer is, I might even be able to get away with the little 8” Orange cabinet. It’s not my dream tone or anything, but sounds pretty good for blues and rock stuff.

Comment

A lead boost, a ts9-ish pedal and a delay; Batteries!

Cable in, cable out, done!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Put 10 different tubescreamer variants on the pedalboard. One for every version of Mustang Sally you'll play over the night.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

at least at my blues jam, there is a hard "no mustang sally" rule. also you cant sing born in chicago unless you are actually from there. when someone hollers freebird, you extend your middle finger and tell them no charge though the mic. proper blues etiquette

Comment

Bring the Super and Green Rhino!
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    Bring the Super and Green Rhino!
                    Since I moved, I have a room for all my guitar stuff, which is awesome. Unfortunately, taking the Super anywhere requires going up stairs now... so yeah, the Orange lunchbox is very appealing.

Also, I sold Jeremy the Green Rhino, but when I bought the Micro Dark, it included a Tube Screamer mini.

Made arrangements to buy the Eminence speaker tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to the Orange being a 1x12 in time for that jam next week. Should be pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                      Since I moved, I have a room for all my guitar stuff, which is awesome. Unfortunately, taking the Super anywhere requires going up stairs now... so yeah, the Orange lunchbox is very appealing.

Also, I sold Jeremy the Green Rhino, but when I bought the Micro Dark, it included a Tube Screamer mini.
                      I understand, the Road King (98 or 102lbs or something) hasn’t left the house in 8 years.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Bring a small open back 1x10 or 1x12 Combo and mount an OD and a light Delay inside of the cab on the bottom wired up to the input like normal.

That way you got the always on solo tones without the mess on the floor and people will just be looking at you like -WTF, what going on with this dude?
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

For a blues jam, which often involve other genres, a delay/tape echo pedal, wah, & rotating speaker pedal work for me, provided the amp has decent overdrive and reverb. The wah should be true bypass.
                          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I can't imagine going to a "blues jam" and needing more than my favorite guitar and my volume knob. Nobody cares about your echos or how rich the midrange is during your solo at those things. They're there to drink and cut loose and give no ****s.
                            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                              I can't imagine going to a "blues jam" and needing more than my favorite guitar and my volume knob. Nobody cares about your echos or how rich the midrange is during your solo at those things. They're there to drink and cut loose and give no ****s.
                              Don’t care what anybody else thinks. It’s easier to play if I like the sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X