Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS Clone Question

Good day,
    What is a good TubeScreamer-ish clone that let's you control the mid-boost it gives, possibly even the bass and treble too?

I'm pretty sure the Way Huge Green Rhino MkIV is an example.

Basically, I want a pedal to have as a slight overdrive, but mostly a colored boost (IE mid-hump) for solos to go on top of my other drives. I also want it to be pretty versatile so that, if I change my mind, I can dial it back a bit on the EQ side.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    GreatOz

Re: TS Clone Question

Yes, the Green Rhino is a TS with a bass and midrange control. Also the Wampler Clarksdale.

However, being the Duncan site, the Seymour Duncan 805 is an obvious choice!
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

the 805 has bass, middle, treble controls so makes it a very versatile ts type drive

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        the 805 has bass, middle, treble controls so makes it a very versatile ts type drive
        +1 on Jeremy’s post. I bought mine on a total whim, and I have to say it totally exceeded my expectations. I haven’t used my old TS5 since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another vote for the 805.

I'll mention the humble Ibanez JD9 as an alternative.

Comment

Thank you all.

Looks like I got quite a few options for what I want to do with it.

Never really considered the SD 805; I'll add that to the "check this out" list.

Comment

The 805 will has more gain range than the TS, can nail any era of TS, and has 3 band active EQ. I absolutely love mine.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                The 805 will has more gain range than the TS, can nail any era of TS, and has 3 band active EQ.
                And is super quiet.

Comment

Agreed, love the 805, also love the Clarksdale.

Comment

The Rhino is a killer pedal. Very tweakable, more gain on tap than a TS.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

If the 805 had a bit more output volume on tap, it would be an unstoppable force.

Comment

I just built and finished testing a three knob EQ with a volume boost tonight. Wouldn't be hard to add a tubescreamer circuit to it. Cost probably around 50$ in parts and seven or eight hours work. PM me if you what schematics.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

VFE Pale Horse, if you can find one. Or a clone of it if you can't find (or afford) the real thing. They've become expensive now that they aren't being made anymore.

It's a six-knob pedal, great sounding and uniquely tuneable. In addition to the standard Drive, Level and Tone, it's got pre-gain Bass and post-gain Treble controls plus a Comp knob that lets you adjust its character in the gain stage. From the VFE product page: "The type and amount of compression is set by the COMP knob. Turn clockwise for dynamic, full mosfet saturation, or counterclockwise for singing, sweet asymmetrical drive. At 12:00, all that remains is the pure op amp gain."

I have a number of TS types and this one was my go-to for years. I don't need so much versatility now and have switched to the Lovepedal Valve Reamer, a hybrid of the TS808 and the SD9 - it's big and full but far less tweakable than the VFE. I'll never sell my Pale Horse though - it's super flexible.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                            If the 805 had a bit more output volume on tap, it would be an unstoppable force.
                            Check our the Green Rhino. It’s really loud, too.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Dude - you exactly described the Duncan 805.

Green Rhino not a bad choice either....
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X