Compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    I use a Keeley Limiting Amplifier because I can control the ratio, threshold and make up gain like a studio unit. But the OP mentioned 'snap' and IME to retain snap, you need a compressor that has either a knew control or attack control to allow a bit of the initial signal through before the comp kicks in. Parallel or blend compression would also work for this.
    Either the 2 or 4 knob Keeley original have always been able to give plenty of snap. But more for chickn' pickin' then send the amp into overdrive. Not that they can't do that if you turn up the level.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just saying....

Comment

If I'm using a comp for a solo boost - great idea especially with single coils cool. If I'm using it for general compression, I can't use it for a "solo boost" and a general compression at the same time. Unless I bend over and turn the knob. If I like a boost "always on" to do a little push, and general compression, then, yeah. Most comps can do that simultaneously.

I will say that I have been digging my Wampler Ego Compressor.

And BEER$ - Yes, there is no such thing as cheating. There is good sound and not good sound. The end. Period. You get this in martial arts a lot. "Oh - he used a trick!" No - he actually knows what he is doing. And it worked.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          Just saying....

I'm gonna try and interpret that...whatever it is!?!?!?!

There is a cut/boost at around some frequency with some specific Q - High pass and low pass

There is a Bass and treble shelf EQ also, and some amount of compression. Can't tell what the hell the trim knob does.

I guess with the Gate "on" it kicks in an amount of compression when the Bass/treble gets to a threshold on the lower knobs. Can I set the comp to Boost or lower the frequency in question at the top???

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            If I'm using a comp for a solo boost - great idea especially with single coils cool. If I'm using it for general compression, I can't use it for a "solo boost" and a general compression at the same time. Unless I bend over and turn the knob. If I like a boost "always on" to do a little push, and general compression, then, yeah. Most comps can do that simultaneously.

And BEER$ - Yes, there is no such thing as cheating. There is good sound and not good sound. The end. Period. You get this in martial arts a lot. "Oh - he used a trick!" No - he actually knows what he is doing. And it worked.
            Um, that's why you do this. Most of the combinations of dirt that you can imagine. Hmm, what if I got a multi-switcher?
            It would equal a Dirt Clod.

Comment

My first pedal was a Dynacomp. I still have it.
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                My first pedal was a Dynacomp. I still have it.
                When I started playing again and was mainly playing bass, I got a CS-3.

Comment

And BEER$ - Yes, there is no such thing as cheating. There is good sound and not good sound. The qend. Period. You get this in martial arts a lot. "Oh - he used a trick!" No - he actually knows what he is doing. And it worked.
                  I know, I didn’t agree with that statement either. If I built a good compressor that let you switch between two different compression levels, would you be interested?
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post

I know, I didn’t agree with that statement either. If I built a good compressor that let you switch between two different compression levels, would you be interested?
                    Depends how awesome the settings are. :P
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Two different levels? What about one controlled by a multi axis expression pedal?
                      Too much, I know.

Comment

A compressor that had like four modes foot switchable (and presentable) would be cool:

Comp / Sus

High High - Say an overpuinchy single coil guitar
                        High Low - Loud pickup with brutal mids or something (I'd use that for acoustic)
                        Low High - Even toned axe that needs sustain for solos (Strat solos)
                        Low Low - "transparent 'something is there but don't know what tones.

Comment

A compressor that had like four modes foot switchable (and presentable) would be cool:

Comp / Sus

High High - Say an overpuinchy single coil guitar
                          High Low - Loud pickup with brutal mids or something (I'd use that for acoustic)
                          Low High - Even toned axe that needs sustain for solos (Strat solos)
                          Low Low - "transparent 'something is there but don't know what tones.
                          How about an analog compressor that has digital control features (meaning not in the signal path) so you could save presets however you like with a couple of footswitches to recall as many as you save?

I’ve seen the same thing done in other effects that kept the actual signal path analog but had presets and MIDI compatibility and everything. There’s an overdrive that does something similar.
                          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Re: Compressor?

The Vise Grip is more transparent than the Boss, which is why I like it. It isn't so much an 'effect' except for the extreme settings. The blend knob is really the big deal here. The Boss always seemed way overbearing, and I could never find a balance that I liked.
                            Depends on how you want to use it. I have a number of Compressors and keep coming back to the Boss CS 3 for some things because i do want that color and squish for some things like clean country solo tones. For other uses I prefer a more transparent compressor with a blend like my Extotic and Wampler. Right tool for the job.
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

If
                              For a solid and very transparent compressor I really like mine. I use it mostly for cleans to give me some sustain fatten up and level my tone with little squish and color. One of my favorite compressors.

Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X