• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise gate between amp and speakers?

Do they exist or is it possible?
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: Noise gate between amp and speakers?

Well, you probably wouldn't want to do it with a tube amp. It could cause the amp to see a resistance it doesn't like.
    Solid state, might work. But you could just as easily run it in the loop. Well, same thing really with a tube amp that has a loop.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Loop is as far out as you should go.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Between preamp and power amp, yes. Between power amp & speakers, no.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I'll try it in the loop.

Didn't work either in the loop or between amp and speaker. I wonder why noone makes one.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 04-30-2020, 11:58 PM.
          I bought them for you

Comment

Because generally the amp isn't that big a source of noise anyway.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

It's not impossible but generally not desired. The Poweramp section doesn't generate lot of hiss unless it's faulty, the preamp is responsible for raising the source level. You silence the pre, the power section stays silent.

Besides imagine a gate kicking in & out between the amp & speaker, the amp would need a dummy load each time the gate was in, too tedious to have that going about long.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                I'll try it in the loop.

Didn't work either in the loop or between amp and speaker. I wonder why noone makes one.
                In my experience it's not a necessity. With a gate in the loop you'll kill enough signal to keep noise barely audible when playing at bedroom volumes. And playing at stage volumes you're hopefully wearing hearing protection anyway, so whatever noise is left when the gate closes 5ou won't hear much of anyway.

Which gate and amp are you using and what is it that doesn't seem to work for you?
                --------------------------------------------------------
                1973 Aria 551
                1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Between Amp and Speaker would be a high Voltage noise gate -can be made several ways - but I bet it would be murder on your transformer over time. -not worth even thinking any more on IMO

So first Identify what's creating most of the noise in the first place -Do you have any digital EHX pedals? if so put it south of there lol... I would put in the loop ONLY if you have modulation pedals in the loop and/or your preamp is creating a lot the noise you don't like.

Otherwise you can just put at the end of the pedal chain to keep you preamp from amplifying the noise in the first place if your amp is not the trouble maker.
                  Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-01-2020, 09:58 AM.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yeah what's creating the noise is when I power the amps using a battery pack I just got. They're all pretty noisy except for my 1/2 wat. So I guess I achieved the same thing or maybe a little better quality than buying a battery powered amp for less money. Still achieved the goal. All my amps are quiet plugged into the wall except the twin is kind of noisy. Could have been useful for that. Maybe I can find a way to ground the battery pack.
                    Last edited by Clint 55; 05-01-2020, 12:13 PM.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

To answer the original question, no, impractical and not needed.

Sounds like your power source is the problem, but the best place for a noise suppressor is generally the fx loop, just make sure it can handle line levels if your loop is line level.

Comment

I bought them for you

Comment

Yeah my thought is that you just need to fix the source of the noise, not cover it up.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Like I said, the source of the noise is my ac power bank that I just got. It's a charge able battery pack with a regular ac outlet so I can run anything I want off of, including amps. The problem is that it doesn't have a real earth ground, only a chassis ground. So powered by the power bank, all of my amps are excessively noisy except for the 1/2 watt nano. The nano plugged into the power bank isn't any noisier than my twin plugged into the wall though, so no big deal. I ended up with a way better portable rig than a pos battery powered amp. Nano into 10" Mesa closed back. I still think it would be a cool innovation since plenty of amps are noisy.
                            Last edited by Clint 55; 05-01-2020, 03:29 PM.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Its always a good idea to fight unwanted artifacts (niose, hum, hiss, crackling) at the point where they are generated and not at the end of the signal chain.
                              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                              X