Free "Alright Now" solo reverb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free "Alright Now" solo reverb?

Just heard "Alright Now" on the radio and realized the solo, which I have always liked, seems pretty wet with reverb.

Anyone hip on studio recording tech circa 1970 who might know what they probably used for that reverb sound OR how to cop something similar in this day and age?

Free "Alright Now" solo reverb?

First guess would be the room the amp was in with a far away mic. Second guess would be an EMT Plate high in the mix. Third guess would be a reverb room in the studio with a speaker at one end and a mic on the other run through an effects send on the channel.

This day and age you can get an EMT Plate as a plug in, and even the Abbey Road reverb room as a plug in.

Comment

Re: Free "Alright Now" solo reverb?

That just sounds like a big room to me. What a great sound, though!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Definitely sounds like a big room, which is interesting because the rhythm sound is very dry. If it was added in the studio at that time it was most likely plate reverb, VH1 is a great example of plate.

Comment

Yeah, the contrast between the rhythm and the solo is great.
          So would a generic "room" reverb pedal setting get into that ballpark?

Comment

cool tune and such kids when they recorded it. not sure about what pedal to get with that sound specifically but there are lots of tweakable reverb pedals out there

Comment

thats one of the coolest sounding songs ever recorded IMO
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                Yeah, the contrast between the rhythm and the solo is great.
                So would a generic "room" reverb pedal setting get into that ballpark?
                Just about any of these should get there, working with your amp tone controls to manage the color/darkness (in the order I'd recommend):

Strymon BlueSky / Big Sky. (I own the BlueSky - will get that sound with very little tweaking)

I don't own these, but from the demos I can tell you can get there (these are either based on an EMT 140 Plate reverb, or have a setting based on it)
                Caitlinbread Talisman
                TC Electronic Skysurfer
                Walrus Audio Slo Multi Texture Reverb
                Keeley Omniverb
                Foxgear Rainbow Reverb

(The Keeley here is the Abbey Road Reverb Room)
                Keely Abbey Chamber Verb
                TC Electronic Hall of Fame
                EHX Oceans 11
                Fender Marine Layer

Comment

Sounds like a big ole' plate reverb to me.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I think just a bit of distance miking though maybe a small amount of plate thrown in but the tail isn't that long, it was common to do room mics in the 70s, if recording you'd be better either using far miked cab IRs (if not micing a cab) or adding a studio/room impulse and turning it up a fair amount. Everything else in the song is super dry so thats why it sticks out, if you put that solo in with a more modern wet drum mix you, the solo would possibly get lost in the mix and live any guitar cab is going to have more natural reverb then that in a big room.
                    Gondola Kid
                    Bandcamp
                    Facebook
                    JimijaymesGuitarist
                    Youtube

Comment

Working...
                    X