banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What OD/Pedal will give a "slight gain, compression, overtones" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What OD/Pedal will give a "slight gain, compression, overtones" ?

Hey guys,

Since I asked the last time for a OD pedal that would give me just a slight, noticable boost for gain/compression/overtones and maybe some overdrive;

my forum bro (which might want to be anonymous) until later atleast . Sent me a Joyo "Ultimate Drive".

thanks alot. But my problem is, that with gain at "0", as low as it goes, it's still too distorted; and doesn't do what I want it to do;

just give more "chime and compression" to the signal, with no harsh distortion clips.

.. :/

My amp only got 2 preamp tubes, therefore I'm battling this "problem", to get a more alive, warm and dynamic clean sound, right when it break into overdrive, as I push harder with the pick/fingers.

Any pedals that work in "this range"?

No worries, I've already found a christmas present for my forum bro, that I'll try to send to him .

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Tube Screamer or Boss SD-1.

Those are the two most important boost pedals.

Comment

TS or DS-1 or maybe a clean boost if the Joyo is already a bit too much for him.
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Maybe a compressor or are you wanting breakup when digging in? If you are wanting to keep it clean even when playing harder in clean passages, a compressor will keep the amp from getting too hot a signal making it clip. Not all compressors are created equal.

Comment

Maybe a Soul Food? It's a pretty good Klon clone and relatively inexpensive.

A real Klon or Klon KTR is, of course, better.

But for an under $100 pedal it might do the trick.

Gets at least 4 out of 5 stars in most reviews.

Maybe you can find a used one?
          Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-24-2020, 07:46 AM.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Most Tube Screamer- or Klon-based overdrives do this. At 0 on the gain, it is basically a clean boost. The gain doesn't add distortion right away either, but a fattening of the EQ and slight compression before the gain starts. This is why they are so popular.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Depending on what you mean by "slight gain, compression and overtones" you have several broad categories to choose from:

1) (Clean) Boost: At their most basic, these make your guitar louder, which then hits the front end of your amp harder. Your amp is then responsible for compressing, getting gainy etc. Some of them also have various types of EQ circuits built in for shaping the tone.

2) Compressor: These limit how hard your guitar can hit the front end of your amp. You can then use the makeup gain (meaning just volume here, not distortion) to make it so that all of your playing, no matter how much your right hand technique varies, hits the front end of your amp at roughly the same level. So if you like your amp gain, but want to keep a lid on how gainy it can get, this may be the way to go. A lot of the classic pedal compressors tend to clamp down on the high end of the guitar too much for my tastes, but there are TON of variations out there that address this issue in various ways.

3) Old School Overdrive: the aforementioned Tubescreamer, DS-1 and their ilk. These pedals don't have a ton of dirt built into them, and a lot of players have historically removed even what little they do have, and used them essentially as boosts. Just..boosts with a very distinctive EQ curve baked in.

4) (Transparent) Overdrives: I've never loved the nomenclature, but 10-15 years ago, everyone became OBSESSED with "transparent overdrives." Basically, they're low-gain dirt pedals that are designed to impart less of their own character to the sound than their old-school counterparts. Some have a little more gain than others. Some aren't really "transparent" at all, but the term has become interchangeable with "low gain," when it comes to marketing dirt pedals.

5) Amp-in-a-box: It feels like these have fallen a little out of fashion, but they're still out there. They're pedals designed to impart the sound of a particular classic amp to whatever rig you're using. And a bunch of them are based on the AC30, which is kinda the quintessential slightly gainy, compresses, overtoney amp. So.

Between those five categories, I'd estimate that you've got roughly 1,000,000,000 pedals to choose from. Good luck.
              Last edited by St_Genesius; 08-24-2020, 08:16 AM.
              ---------------------------
              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                Depending on what you mean by "slight gain, compression and overtones" you have several broad categories to choose from:

1) (Clean) Boost: At their most basic, these make your guitar louder, which then hits the front end of your amp harder. Your amp is then responsible for compressing, getting gainy etc. Some of them also have various types of EQ circuits built in for shaping the tone.

2) Compressor: These limit how hard your guitar can hit the front end of your amp. You can then use the makeup gain (meaning just volume here, not distortion) to make it so that all of your playing, no matter how much your right hand technique varies, hits the front end of your amp at roughly the same level. So if you like your amp gain, but want to keep a lid on how gainy it can get, this may be the way to go. A lot of the classic pedal compressors tend to clamp down on the high end of the guitar too much for my tastes, but there are TON of variations out there that address this issue in various ways.

3) Old School Overdrive: the aforementioned Tubescreamer, DS-1 and their ilk. These pedals don't have a ton of dirt built into them, and a lot of players have historically removed even what little they do have, and used them essentially as boosts. Just..boosts with a very distinctive EQ curve baked in.

4) (Transparent) Overdrives: I've never loved the nomenclature, but 10-15 years ago, everyone became OBSESSED with "transparent overdrives." Basically, they're low-gain dirt pedals that are designed to impart less of their own character to the sound than their old-school counterparts. Some have a little more gain than others. Some aren't really "transparent" at all, but the term has become interchangeable with "low gain," when it comes to marketing dirt pedals.

5) Amp-in-a-box: It feels like these have fallen a little out of fashion, but they're still out there. They're pedals designed to impart the sound of a particular classic amp to whatever rig you're using. And a bunch of them are based on the AC30, which is kinda the quintessential slightly gainy, compresses, overtoney amp. So.

Between those five categories, I'd estimate that you've got roughly 1,000,000,000 pedals to choose from. Good luck.
                Bill Finnigan says he invented the Klon to make a Stratocaster sound like a Les Paul.

I have a Klon KTR Bill made and to me it's the best transparent overdrive I've ever used and a much better clean boost than a Tubescreamer.

It doesn't get those SRV tones the way a Tubescreamer does, but it doesn't seem that's what Erland is looking for.

Really, based on his previous posts, it seems he just doesn't like his amp.

Don't know that any pedal is going to cure that.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Wait 'til you see what he says about his guitar.

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Really, based on his previous posts, it seems he just doesn't like his amp.
                  No, but he's not actually gonna buy anything anyway, so it's all theoretical.

Don't know that any pedal is going to cure that.
                  Last edited by St_Genesius; 08-24-2020, 09:17 AM.
                  The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

I have the Joyo mentioned
                    if you turn down the guitar volume
                    as well as the gain knob on the Ultimate Drive
                    It cleans up
                    At least mine does

EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I think you are asking for a lot of one pedal to do well and correctly.

Comment

I have a Klon KTR Bill made and to me it's the best transparent overdrive I've ever used and a much better clean boost than a Tubescreamer.
                        Meanwhile, I think the Klone I played through is the worst pedal I've ever encountered for boosting a distorted amp that's widely touted for that purpose. Its EQ pushes all of the exact wrong frequencies for a distorted amp, leaving you with a sound that's both muddy and shrill at the same time. It's awful.

@OP -- what you're looking for is an EQ pedal that can boost, not an overdrive. Try a Boss GE-7 or an MXR 10-band if you want to do this on the cheap, or, if you want to shell out for a pedal that does basically the same thing but with a really cool workflow, try the VFE Standout, Pinball, or Focus.

Comment

There are so effing many options, you could even do both: the J. Rockett Melody!

Originally posted by Cynical View Post

@OP -- w hat you're looking for is an EQ pedal that can boost, not an overdrive.

Comment

Philosopher's tone compressor, the full size version. You can add compression, add volume and add distortion (grit knob)

Comment

Working...
                            X