Talk to me about the Avid Eleven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about the Avid Eleven

My local Mom and Pop has an Avid Eleven for $200 which got me interested. I would love any feedback on the unit any of you might have. My plan is to go back with my guitar next Saturday to plug it in, I am thinking it might make a light gig rig straight to the board or through my JBL powered speaker.

I remember them being all the rage around twelve years ago. Comparable to the Line6 top of the line back then. For the money, you could probably easily go either direct or through a powered speaker and sound just fine.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

You could probably run it into your Roland half stack through the effects return.
      Yowzah.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have one that I used before I got my Fractal AX8. What do you want to know? Give me a call tomorrow if you want.

Comment

I think the guys who designed it went on to design the Headrush brand of floor modelers. About 7 years ago, there were rave reviews for the Avid. Don't know how it stands up to modern modelers. I bet the firmware won't be updated, though.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've played one. They're better than Line 6 of the same era, but not at the same level as an original AxeFx Ultra. Definitely worth checking out, and it sounds like it could be cool toy at that price.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Based on all of the past tense comments I am betting the tech is very dated. I might go back and check it out if I have the time, but all indications are I am going to pass.

Comment

They are a bit dated compared to whats out there now, but they don't sound bad, and certainly better than most of what you'll find for that price. These days I mainly use mine as an interface with my amp and torpedo in the fx loop for re-amping.
                sigpic
                Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I think the guys who designed it went on to design the Headrush brand of floor modelers. About 7 years ago, there were rave reviews for the Avid. Don't know how it stands up to modern modelers. I bet the firmware won't be updated, though.
                  No, Chris Townsend never been affiliated with Headrush. If my memory is good, Headrush bought the modelling technology from Avid but had to redo the programming to run on the hardware they have right now.
                  The software

Comment

​I have an Eleven Rack for almost 10 years, still use it for recording and for live gigs. Always been complimented by the tone direct to FOH (even from friends owning Mesa Boogies and other tube amps). I have my 11R on a 2U rack case, fitting a Tech21 Midi Mongoose and an expression pedal (a modded Cry Baby) on the rear to carry from car to gig. So when I come to a gig, the longest part of my setup is to find a power outlet and giving my XLR to the soundman .

The amp models are still very good as per today standard and cover the basis (Fenders, Marshalls, Mesa Boogies, Soldano and Matchless) . They are very responsive like a real tube amp and more on the raw side of tone, where Line6 and Axe Fx are more on the polished side of tone. I don't need more amp models to cover what I play (blues, classic rock, 80's rock 80's metal).

The effect are very limited compared to Helix and Axe Fx, but they are the bread and butter of most pedalboards (just check the list). I also don't need more effects then what is on the unit as I only use (not at the same time) reverb, delay, overdrive, chorus, delay, phaser, vibrato and eq. Nothing fancy. The 11R is reported to take pedals very well, both front and in the effect loop, if you need more.

I first used my 11R plugged in my tube power amp and 4x12" cab. Sounded very very good. I then bought an EV ZLX12P to create my patches for direct to FOH. The cab simulation is very good, but you will need to spend some time with the parametric eq to dial-it just right. IR technology was not very common when the 11R was designed. I will probably buy a good IR pedal in the future, that will place my 11R on par with today's technology.

IMO, the presets (called rigs) sound awful. When I got my 11R I was very disappointed and wanted to return it. But I decided to keep it has I got a full version of Protools included that was the price of the unit itself. Glad I spend sometime with it to dialed my patches. Sounds wonderful now. What I like compared to other modellers is the UI, I do everything with the knobs on the front panel, as I would do with a real amp and real pedals. I only use the editor for backing-up my patches, YMMV. If you get the 11R, download Singtall free patches (check elevenrackpresets.com) as a starting point. You can even buy preset packs from him. I can also send you my patches (5 patches for my LP and my humbucker pup guitars, 5 patches for my Strat and single-coils pup guitars, and 5 patches for my bass guitar).

I like my 11R very much, will probably go Headrush Gigboard when my unit dies (Axe Fx is way out of my price range and impossible for find here in Montreal, Helix is not doing it for me compared to 11R and I don't like the editing on the Atomic hardware). I don't feel let down by no firmware updates as I don't need more models. The models are limited but they are very good and the unit is easy to use. And if you think that firmware update is a must, there's no more update either from Fractal to the Axe Fx Standard, Ultra and II. I think it's the same with Line 6 for the Pod and HD hardware. So modellers will always get to EOL sooner or later.

Comment

There is also an issue with the editing software on my computer, and on a friend who also has one. Oftentimes it won't open, and there are some app data files that need to be deleted, then it will work fine.
                      sigpic
                      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                        There is also an issue with the editing software on my computer, and on a friend who also has one. Oftentimes it won't open, and there are some app data files that need to be deleted, then it will work fine.
                        That's a problem with a lot of software that was written back in the Win 7 and previous days, my old M-Audio/Avid interface was flaky running on WIn 10. I bought a new M-Audio 192|14 interface that runs great for audio programs but won't play audio from the web, go figure...

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                          Never had any problem on my Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

That's a problem with a lot of software that was written back in the Win 7 and previous days, my old M-Audio/Avid interface was flaky running on WIn 10. I bought a new M-Audio 192|14 interface that runs great for audio programs but won't play audio from the web, go figure...
                            Yep, that's the problem with software driven hardware, it will fail eventually. My 2000 Digidesign Digi-001 is not supported anymore (but still installed in my G4 Mac that I didn't boot-up in the last 10 years).
                            I'm staying away iOS/Android solutions because of the fast obsolescence.

Comment

I've only seen that issue with windows, its not a huge deal I just made a direct shortcut on the desktop to get where I need to delete, its just an annoyance
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X