X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Xotic XW-1 wah pedal worth it?

Anybody have it?
    Soundcloud

I’ve not used it but I’ve used a lot of other highly tweakable Wahs. Have you played other tweakable wahs and you’re wondering Xw-1 vs. 525Q or have you only played basic Crybaby/Vox wahs before?

Looking at the manual, the XW-1 has Q which is typical, it’s got Treble/Bass which is nice and it’s got input gain/bias which are rare outside of the Teese and other super tweakable wahs. What’s curious is that it’s only got two sweep
    settings (Sweep Capacitor) in a dip, and even the 535Q has 6. It seems like it wants to be squarely in the “vintage crybaby/vox” camp with some tweaks to make it more personalized.

My initial thought is you get more band for the buck from the 535Q and you get more tweakability for a similar price with the Teese RMC3.

I’m curious to see what others say, it’s an interesting wah that I haven’t had the chance to play yet.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have used a handful of wah pedals over the years. My favorite was a Snarling Dawgs Blues Bawls wah. It was great but some of the features were not always reliable. I have used a Morley. Didn't dig it. I have used a lot of CryBaby wahs including my current wah.

I guess I am just curious what else is out there. In 2015, I bought one of these in Greece and I am still using it:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200830_140023.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.4 KB ID:	6013235
      Last edited by Snake Aces; 08-30-2020, 12:12 PM.
      Soundcloud

Comment

With my setup I went with a MXR CAE MC404. Basically two tweakable wahs in one, and a clean boost included.
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

It's a fantastic Wah, and I love it, but whether it's "worth the price" is another story

I don't mind that I paid what I did for it, but I don't think I've gotten every penny's worth, because I've used a "set and forget" approach. I found a Wah tone I love in it, and I don't fiddle with it anymore

Now, I also subsequently bought the Dunlop Mini Hendrix Wah for my 3-pedal, "grab-and-go" board, and it actually nails the same tone that I love out of the Xotic. Considering that, you could say that the extra $$$ went to waste. Then again, there is NO tweaking on the Hendrix Mini, and the Xotic is micro-adjustable to get EXACTLY the tone you like. In that sense, you could say that its MY fault that I haven't gotten my money's worth – if I was looking for a one-trick pony, why did I buy an expensive swiss army knife?

Bottom line is that its an outstanding wah that would be worth the price if you like to tweak, but if not, you might be able to find something that works a bit better for you for a small fraction of the cost if you spend enough time trying different pedals out.
          __PRESENT
          Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
          Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
          Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
          Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
          Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
          Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
          Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
          Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
          Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
          PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
            It's a fantastic Wah, and I love it, but whether it's "worth the price" is another story

I don't mind that I paid what I did for it, but I don't think I've gotten every penny's worth, because I've used a "set and forget" approach. I found a Wah tone I love in it, and I don't fiddle with it anymore

Now, I also subsequently bought the Dunlop Mini Hendrix Wah for my 3-pedal, "grab-and-go" board, and it actually nails the same tone that I love out of the Xotic. Considering that, you could say that the extra $$$ went to waste. Then again, there is NO tweaking on the Hendrix Mini, and the Xotic is micro-adjustable to get EXACTLY the tone you like. In that sense, you could say that its MY fault that I haven't gotten my money's worth – if I was looking for a one-trick pony, why did I buy an expensive swiss army knife?

Bottom line is that its an outstanding wah that would be worth the price if you like to tweak, but if not, you might be able to find something that works a bit better for you for a small fraction of the cost if you spend enough time trying different pedals out.
            __PRESENT
            Thank you very much! This is very, very helpful!
            Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
            X