Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Dist+ alternatives ?

Simple quick question.

Any pedals out there, that can be described as a GOOD ''sound-just-like-a-Dist+'' alternative ?

Thanks
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

can i ask why? there must be thousands of them used floating around out there for small dough

Comment

Like Jeremy said there are a ton of MXR D+s on the market just grab one. The closest I have heard is the tan vintage ROSS distortion not as much gain but damn close. From what I have heard ROSS lifted the MXR circuit. The ROSS will be more expensive on the vintage/secondary market. The Decibel 11 Dirt Clod also does a pretty good D+ but it is not quite as grainy.

Also, I found the reissues to be a bit more compressed than the original 80's models. They lacked that fuzzy/grainy tone that made Randy sound like Randy.
      Last edited by Securb; 09-02-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I modded my existing D+, didn't like the nasally tone at higher gain settings, now it sounds much better. I think it may have been a mod suggested by Brian Wampler, but, I agree with Securb, there are TONS out there, even the bigger stores usually have a bunch used for short cash...

Comment

The obvious answer is the Whirlwind Gold Box. I bought one recently because I wanted a D+, my local store had a Gold Box in stock, and I want to support them as much as possible through the COVID slump. It cost more than a used MXR, but wasn't all that expensive.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Ditto to Rich_S's advice.

If I was gonna go for an original-spec or thereabouts Dist+ (and I will eventually), I'd get the Whirlwind Gold Box. Whirlwind was founded by one of the original MXR guys (who created the Dist+).

Comment

Those pedals are cheap enough and really high quality so I say just go for the real deal. I'm not one to buy used pedals not knowing what all they could have been through and what can rear its head days/weeks/months down the road so I say go for new. American Musical has a new minor blemish one that's under full warranty for $67.95 and a fantastic return policy. I say go for that or just spend a little more for non blemished and have exactly what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. 80's View Post
                Those pedals are cheap enough and really high quality so I say just go for the real deal.:
                My feeling exactly I would say look for a non-led version if you are going to grab one. The downside is the older units do not have a 9-volt jack but I have a 3 dollar hack you can use without altering the pedal. Just PM me and I will walk you through it.

Comment

dod 250 is a really similar circuit, digitech was selling them brand new for $50 a while back.
                  Quality riffs in about a minute...
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
                    dod 250 is a really similar circuit, digitech was selling them brand new for $50 a while back.
                    Nice call the 250 is more like a cousin of the D+ than a twin brother. It has it's own vibe, it is less fizzy. I dare say the 250 is closer to the new and reissued D+s than the originals. That being said I have used both over the years, love them both.

Comment

This circuit is one of the easier ones to clone on a multi-effects, too. Several companies put models of the + in their boxes, and they sound pretty great.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        can i ask why? there must be thousands of them used floating around out there for small dough
                        YES . . . i am sure . . . but not in South Africa

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
                          GREAT . . . thank you very much.
                          I'll see if i can locate a DOD on this side of the world.

Comment

It’s a shame if the original isn’t available in your country, I love the distortion+, it can really make an amp roar!
                            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Here is me using a my 250 circa 1988

Comment

Working...
                              X