Modified ProCo Rat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified ProCo Rat

Bought from a local guy that does excellent pedal mods. Here's his description :

SOLD! To a local musician.

1990's Made in USA Proco RAT 2 with Pete's Upgrades, NOS Metal Can LM308 IC Chip

$125

Here's another meatier RAT for more discriminating palettes. This is the last USA version made with the original circuit design before moving production to China. The stock RAT2 I found was in excellent, well cared for condition. This late USA version came with a crappy opamp, so first thing I did was pull that and install a socket and then put in an NOS National Semi metal can LM308 IC chip, just like it was meant to be. Next, I pulled the cheap clipping diodes, and replaced with that toggle switch you see. On one side is a pair of higher-end 1N914 diodes (switch to right) for the stock RAT sound, and on the other I put a pair of 5mm red LEDs for a more robust, fatter tone with a bit more gain. Then I did the Reutz mod. The Filter control on the RAT pretty much has two sounds with nothing in between. The Reutz mod makes the control much more useful. It involves modifying part of the tone filtering, and includes an extra control so you can dial in the best place to get the most out of the Filter control sweep. Finally I put in purple-ish LED for fun. Great pedal in a small footprint. Huge distortion sound. You see it here first and for less.

Last edited by JMP/HBE; 09-16-2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X