No announcement yet.

Fuzz "compliment" to my EHX "Octavix" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzz "compliment" to my EHX "Octavix" ?

Well...

I've always wanted a fuzz- and last year I bought a brand new Electro Harmonic "Octavix" fuzz.

It sounds good- but doesn't sound "traditional". I'm still wanting the raw, old-school tones from the 60's, and 70's.

The "real deal".

What pedal(s) can give me this, without being boutique expensive?

Thanks

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

ehx big muff or a dunlop fuzz face would be good place to start. what fuzz tones are you trying to achieve?
    Quality riffs in about a minute...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I don't want a Big Muff- the "Octavix" sounds very like that. I want something "simple", with a simple circuit- :/

something 100% analogue, that captures the essence of the classic fuzz sounds. I like thick, splattery- lively fuzzes- that lets me do a powerchord, and fill the room with saturated, harmonic goodness.

I realize I could have done a ton of research on Youtube before I made this thread,

So, maybe it's not important if you answer or not.

rock on anyways \m/

-Erl
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I like either the EHX Flatiron fuzz which is like a Ratt or the EHX Satisfaction, think Rolling Stones song of the same name.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

+1 on the Fuzzface, and on the Flatiron Fuzz, I wasn't really impressed with the Octavix, I now use a separate octave pedal and fuzz pedal

Comment

For fuzz, I think it’s the germanium Fuzz Face style that gets the really classic sounds. A Big Muff doesn’t even come close, and it is much harder to use if there is more than one guitar in the band. (Still, I do love the muffs, but for other purposes) I’ve been using the same Fulltone ‘69 pedal for almost 25 years and I’ve never owned or played anything that I thought was any better for that old FF type of sound, but you can certainly pay (a lot) more if you’re rich, or just into throwing away money. I also own a Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, but mostly because I’m a big fan of Hendrix. That pedal is definitely fuzzier than the ‘69, but it doesn’t sound as warm and classic as the ‘69, nor does it clean up as nice as the ‘69. Ymmv (a lot), lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post
              +1 on the Fuzzface, and on the Flatiron Fuzz, I wasn't really impressed with the Octavix, I now use a separate octave pedal and fuzz pedal
              I wasn't too happy with the Octavix when I first got it, either.

Trough the clean channel, I found it just too buzzy, thin and harsh for any use. And lacking the "traditional" fuzz sounds...

but I've learnt how to use it. I run it trough the OD channel, with careful adjustments of the knobs. That gives a very complex, blooming and fat lead sound- aswell as the raunchiest riff tones I've heard . Putting all the controls at full, makes it sound really "spluttery", almost like a broken circuit.

The "octave" function isn't like a perfect octave up effect- it's more like a... thing, that adds harmonics, dirty, wierd harmonics . I like to run the "octave" amount knob at quarter to half-full.

Heck, I don't even know if if I can afford another fuzz; or if I really need one. There is , I guess- 100-200 fuzzes on the market now :o.

but I guess I can't go wrong with a Fuzzface (or fuzzface clone) .

thanks and rock on \m/

-Erl

Comment

Get the EHX Satisfaction for raunchy or the mini Fuzz Face for the smoother fuzz face sound. Both are affordable.

I don’t know about your region but in the US you can get a hand built fuzz for about $50 on reverb. Who knows what you are getting but it can be fun! They are all classic circuits with matched transistors for the most part.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Heck- I've been having a desk standing around since I was 18- and all the time wanted to construct my own pedals

I studied electronics my first year at high school, so I got a general idea of what's going on. I were just about to buy a good, cheap "kit" with pre-drilled prints here the other day.

One thing I don't like- is tiny, surface mount components. ... they look like the "image" of the world collapsing (and poor tone, lol) .

-E

Comment

While I am not a fuzz guy, the JHS Rams Head sounds wonderful. EH has a Rams Head variant fuzz, too. These were my favorite eras for fuzz.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Highway Chile View Post
                      For fuzz, I think it’s the germanium Fuzz Face style that gets the really classic sounds.
                      I don't use fuzz very often, but I love my EarthQuaker Devices Dream Crusher. It's a germanium fuzz, but, (for some strange reason), they quit making it. So, you'd have to find one used.

Comment

Who knows how the transistors are, but those are easy to replace.

Vintage Fuzz Face DIY Guitar Pedal Kit with Germanium AC128 Transistors and 1590B Box

About This Listing Make Your Own Fuzz Effect Pedal So Easy (With 1590B) Description:1.The Fuzz PCB is designed to fit perfectly inside a 1590B enclosure.2. It is very easy to assemble.Every part has a match number,you just need to take their seats according to the number3.This Fuzz Kit ...
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

i like the fulltone 69, ive heard great things about the dream catcher too! my fuzz of choice is the analogman sunface nkt. my friend has had a white dot forever and it was the first fuzz i really liked for more than playing around. i tried a few different sunface models and ended up liking the red dot best. little more gain than the white and a little warmer/smokier tone. my same friend has an original fulltone 69 too so ive spent a fair amount of time with that as well. years later, my sunface "disappeared" after a gig. after a mourning period, i went on another fuzz search since it had been years since my initial search. again, the red dot sunface was the one i liked best so i got another one. not cheap but its my favorite fuzz. a fuzzface is a great pedal, a germanium fuzzface is lovely but comes with a fair amount of quirks.

Comment

Working...
                          X