Boss Distortions - in order of gaininess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss Distortions - in order of gaininess

So - in your experience, What is the level of Distortion provided by boss pedals, least to most

From what I can tell...lowest to highest with a few notes:

SD-1
    BD-2 - OD 3 (tie for gain)

DS-1
    Super Feedback & Distortion (DS1 with feedback)

Digital Metalizer (A little different but similar to DS-1 Distortion)

​​​​​​​PS-1 Power Stack

HM-2
    HM-3 (Is it really more gain than an HM-2?)

Metal Zone

X-tortion/Megadistortion ???

Fill in / rearrange / etc...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

SD-2 green is a little more than SD-1, the red is around DS-1. It’s been a loooong time since I played the OS-2 but I seem to remember to being more distorted than the SD-2. DS-2 Turbo Distortion is approaching the HM-2 range.

Also, the natural EQ curves makes it harder to rank them, a scoop can sound heavier than a mid push.

Here’s a cool video...

I think I liked the OD-1 the best!
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Dang...saw a few there I never heard of!

Comment

The only BOSS Distortion I have is the Mega Distortion. I don't know where it falls on the list but it is a gain monster. It is the box I use for my heavier gigs.

Last edited by Securb; 11-28-2020, 07:23 PM.

Comment

The Super Feedbacker & Distortion was a great pedal. I had gotten one when they first came out. I got really good at using the Feedbacker to where it sounded very natural.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Boss pedal guidebook includes a chart that puts all the distortion pedals on a two dimensional axis that shows the relative differences between the pedals. That’s useful for getting a general idea of what pedal(s) will work for a desired distortion sound, but there is no substitute to testing them yourself. Two pedals that have similar levels of available gain can sound totally different, as it is the EQ curve that defines the sound.

Comment

SD-1 has fractionally more gain than the BD-2, but it 'hits' in a different way so the BD-2 feels like it pushes more with some amplifiers and the clipping can be more apparent with some rigs than others. It really depends on whether your sound, other than the pedals, is more centred around the lower half of the mids or the upper half, and how far you're pushing the clean level of each pedal. (The BD-2 has fractionally more of a flat level boost available.) With a Fender Tone Master (the original Custom Shop one, not the modern digital amp) the SD-1 will feel like the hotter and higher-gain pedal of the two (check out mid-90s Richie Sambora) while with a throatier amp like a Marshall TSL the BD-2 will feel like it's giving you more. (Check out My Chemical Romance.)
              In a vacuum, direct-in with no amp in play, all controls at middle and a simple 1kHz sine tone run through them, it's very evident that the only significant difference between the SD-1 and BD-2 is the tone balance and not the gain or level range. The slightly higher gain of the SD-1 and slightly higher level range of the BD-2 only come into play when you're maxing the pedals out and even then, can be deceptive depending on the rest of your rig.

DS-2's turbo mode is around an HM-2 in terms of the degree of distortion, though obviously the EQ is very different. (DS-2 non-turbo mode is indistinguishable from a DS-1 from the same year; of course both pedals have been changed fractionally over the years but if you A:B a 2002 DS-1 to a 2002 DS-2, for example, they come out identical.)

Comment

Originally posted by Highway Chile View Post
                The Boss pedal guidebook includes a chart that puts all the distortion pedals on a two dimensional axis that shows the relative differences between the pedals. That’s useful for getting a general idea of what pedal(s) will work for a desired distortion sound, but there is no substitute to testing them yourself. Two pedals that have similar levels of available gain can sound totally different, as it is the EQ curve that defines the sound.
                Link please! That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Although thoughts/opinions/experience here also wanted/welcomed/preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Flibble View Post
                  SD-1 has fractionally more gain than the BD-2, but it 'hits' in a different way so the BD-2 feels like it pushes more with some amplifiers and the clipping can be more apparent with some rigs than others.

DS-2's turbo mode is around an HM-2 in terms of the degree of distortion, though obviously the EQ is very different.
                  I could see the DS/BD thing easily.

I have never messed with any Turbo things, Boss or Porche

Comment

More people should give the DS-2's turbo setting a try. It was Prince's solo tone from its launch in '87 right up until his death. Hugely underrated pedal.

Comment

This is the chart in the manuals:

Click image for larger version

Name:	boss.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	6033301
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Chart seems to be right. Any one that knows me knows I like that rough buzzy high gain distortion. The MD-2 sounds/feels like you are cleaning your ears with burlap. The cool thing is you can deliver throaty deep bass without getting boomy or muddy.

Comment

Not sure I get the axis designations entirely....but I see what they mean.

OD's are natural while Distortion is not? Have they not listened to an amp since 1985?
                          MD is rough, but an MT is smooth? They both seem to create bee buzz and fluid drive to me....

There are obviously things missing. But still - that helps a lot.

Comment

This is interesting that the SD-1 is at the bottom of the list, given that it's called the "Super Overdrive." I'll have to fire mine up after I get a bit more coffee in me, and check it out. Again.

Comment

well, they do have the OD-1 also....again, not listed. That pic looks like a current lineup from a particular year.

Comment

Working...
                              X