Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAE MC404 vs Fulltone Clyde standard

Hi!

I have a CAE MC404 wah but i'm not really happy with it how it sounds when i'm using overdrives. I tried the wah after OD pedals but i'm still having the issue because i use my volume knob to get gain from my AC30. So it wont help before or after OD.

Now someone offers me to trade with his Fulltone Ckyde standard wah pedal. Does anyone have experience with this wah pedal and gain? Maybe both to compare...

this guy lives to far away to try it my self.

Thanks!

Marco
    Netherlands

I've always ran my Clyde in front of my amp and got gain from the amp itself, so I'm not sure how it responds any differently before or after an overdrive pedal. In general, any wah after dirt has a more perceptible wah affect, and wah before dirt or gain has a smoother, more tamed wah effect. Kind of goes for any pedal - whatever is later or last in the chain you hear more of.

Comment

Note: i'm using gain from my ac30 amp. But for heavier work i use a green rhino to get extra gain. Both ways i'm not happy with the wah how it sounds.

i really want that 'wah!' effect.. even when using higher gain. (Like slash, hendrix, srv etc)
      Last edited by dudiluty; 11-29-2020, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Does it have the buffer? (Newer ones do, older ones don’t) I’ve found the buffer helps cut like you are describing. However, the CAE is a great wah so I’m wondering if there’s another factor. Are you using the Red, some boost and adjusting the Q?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          Does it have the buffer? (Newer ones do, older ones don’t) I’ve found the buffer helps cut like you are describing. However, the CAE is a great wah so I’m wondering if there’s another factor. Are you using the Red, some boost and adjusting the Q?
          Is did try some adjustments with the trim pots but they are not really changing the sound and sweep a lot. When i engage the booster and set it half way it helps a bit.

Comment

What’s the full signal chain you are using?
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              What’s the full signal chain you are using?
              Korg pitchblack tuner
              mc404 wah
              Green rhino
              seymour duncan pickup booster.

Comment

Seems straightforward. It “wahs” fine with no Green Rhino?

With the GR, both yellow and red and boost on get lost? Open up the back and set both Q pots to about 2/3, too much can get lost and too little just sounds like a tone control.

if that doesn’t work I’m a little baffled. I’m not sure that the Clyde would be remarkably different, both are based on classic wah circuits. You might need a Morley or something like that to cut more.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

No it also happens when just using the ac30 gain alone. Just not a nice wah sound and sweep

Comment

The design of the Clyde pedal has more sweep than other wahs, maybe you just need a Clyde for the sweep range?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      The design of the Clyde pedal has more sweep than other wahs, maybe you just need a Clyde for the sweep range?
                      It’s an interesting thing, talking about sweep range on a wah. Sometimes you literally want it to go bassier and more trebly, other times you want a more narrow sweep so the whole treadle action is in the sweet spot.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I always thought that the Parapedal (the one Tony Iommi uses) had an interesting, and very different sweep.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

those clyde pedals always sound good when i see em in action

Comment

What's the input impedance of each?

Traditional wahs (low input impedance) should be first in line (connected to guitar) to get the best wah-guitar interaction (just like traditional fuzzes).

If you're relying on a stomp box for distortion and placing it before wah, you may want a modern type wah with high input impedance (1MOhm ish).

Comment

The CAE is 1Meg.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X