banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled a couple of oldies out of the catacombs. (DOD FX22, FX75C, and a CrossRoads.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled a couple of oldies out of the catacombs. (DOD FX22, FX75C, and a CrossRoads.)

I dug out my old DOD FX22 Vibrothang Vibrato. (Incorrectly named. It's a tremolo.) That baby is suweeet! While the Eve only has "speed" and "depth" controls, the FX22 adds "Doppler" and "Image." I have no idea what they do from a technical POV, but they give the thing some sweet tonal variation. I don't think I've ever heard a tremolo sound so good. Just lush and delicious.

That led me to bring out the old DOD 75C Stereo Flanger. Again, that thing sounds sweeter than any of my modelers. It's got a knob on it called "Regen" that really fattens up the sound. There's something to be said for good ole analog circuitry. (I assume they both are.)

I also pulled out the DOD FX20C Stereo Phaser, but it's got a serious hum problem. I think there's probably a bad connection on the input or output. I'll look into that when I get time. And, I have the matching FX55C Supra Distortion, but I didn't fire that up. If I get all four of these working properly, it could make a sweet little "vintage" mini-pedal-board.

Lastly, I pulled out the old EC Crossroads pedal. I know these get a bad rap, but they do have a couple good sounds in there. Mainly, the "Layla" setting. It's supposed to simulate an acoustic sound. Using my Daisy Rock, with DD 59's, and both pups on, I could actually get it to sound reasonably close to a recorded boat-back Ovation. It was pretty cool, and kinda fun.

So anyway . . . don't let those oldies collect dust. Bring 'em out from time to time. They want to be played with.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 12-02-2020, 07:26 AM.
Working...
X