Review: EHX Allied Overdrive, EHX Volume Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: EHX Allied Overdrive, EHX Volume Pedal

So, I got my "christmas present" today, a box containing an EHX Allied Overdrive, and an EHX Volume Pedal.

The "Allied Overdrive" is GREAT! :o. It blew my mind, from the second I turned it on. I first tried it trough the clean channel. With the 3-way initial gain toggle set to "low", (it has lo/mid/high), it gives a transparent, clean sound- with very useable EQ (bass, mid, treble), and the gain goes from "a touch of beautiful sparkle" to mild overdrive. It's not "creamy", I'd rather say... crunchy.

When used as an EQ/boost before my OD channel, I FINALLY got the "Marshall crunch/bite" kind of tone, that I felt were lacking in my Blackstar HT-20mkII. It was a blast to play old Iron Maiden'ish licks, and with the mids turned up, leads simply sing, squeal and SCREAM! :o

It has a "blend" control, that goes from completely bypassed, to "all pedal". I've left it in the middle; it's a great feature.

The "Boost" mode, that has its own gain control and footswitch, gives additional, creamy and saturated distortion.

I give it 6/6. .

The volume pedal, on the other hand, is... close to plain rubbish.

When you rock the pedal back and forth, there is a nasty, plastic rattle. (that's not heard trough the amp...) The "rattle" also comes trough with the action;
    It's also very light, the pedal has very short travel; and 80% of the volume change comes in the very end of the range.
    The pedal feels very loose, and is "not smooth", it's almost impossible to make a smooth swell.

I've asked the company if I can return it, when I come home monday 4th January. I wish to trade it in, for something of quality.
    I hear that the Boss FV-500H is recommended. I don't have time to go trough their selection, but I asked them if they had another model; that was better- without costing a fortune.

2/6 (because of the cheap price.)

Sincerely,

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

I regret I didn't buy the BOSS FV-500H (that I've heard many people reccommend),
    but the store didn't stock it (just a tiny-little FV-50).

And every EHX product I've ordered in the past, has been of top-notch quality.

I mean... the volume pedal was relatively cheap, half the price of an Ernie Ball or Dunlop... but it barely works at all.

-E
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

there is probably a mod for it
      that repairs it
      you could try to google that
      or see if you can find a youtube clip on how
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

the manual says it needs to be calibrated

https://www.ehx.com/products/volume-pedal/instructions

CALIBRATION PROCEDURE
        1. Place the pedal on the surface where it will be used.
        2. Ensure the VOLUME pedal is sitting flat on the surface then press and release the CALIBRATE button once; the EHX logo begins to blink indicating the toe position has been saved.
        3. While the EHX logo continues to blink, rock the pedal all the way back to the extreme heel position and hold it there.
        4. Press and release the CALIBRATE button once more.
        5. The EHX logo will stop blinking to indicate that the heel position has been saved. The calibration procedure is complete.
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Boss FV-500H is good pedal, but it does have a bit unevenness as well. Most of volume drop occurs within a small portion of travel.

I made a post here about modding it smoother. It works well enough, but loses the exp side.

I don't like the construction of Ernie Ball pedals, but it has buttersmooth travel. Best I've tried that regard. I can see why players like Knopfler like it.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

I believe the original post refers to this one: https://www.ehx.com/products/perform...s-volume-pedal

I bought one, and a Wailer Wah, for my backup board. The wah sounded great, although it was noisy. Had no issues with the voljmne pedal, though.
            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

I got the other one, the lightweight classic model, mostly plastic. That I complain about feels too cheap,

I'm gonna return it, and no worries. I need something smoother, more heavyweight.

-Erlend

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                LOL, I ordered the Operation Overlord.
                Congrats-

Would be awesome to read a review written by you;

(in contrast to the review i made, ? ) like a little game. Hehe .

I think you will like it alot, seems like it has a thousand uses, and has to have been someone's (love child project) or something .

I'm gonna play mine now! \m/

-Erlend

Comment

Working...
                X