banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's REVIEW those pedal boards you are using right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blille
    replied
    Originally posted by Securb View Post
    There is no correct order of pedals. You can button your shirt from the top-down or from the bottom-up. Both ways get your shirt buttoned.
    Sure. You can put and ambient reverb before a raging fuzz but, unlike the shirt, the result will be very different from putting them the other way around. IMHO there is a "safe" order of pedals that you shouldn't deviate from unless you know why you're doing it.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    There is no correct order of pedals. You can button your shirt from the top-down or from the bottom-up. Both ways get your shirt buttoned.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied
    Originally posted by Aceman View Post

While I understand what you say that, and don't disagree, this guy does not need to be confused by "options"

You saw what happened when he had 18 dirt pedal options.

walk before you run!
    I almost feel that phaser before gain isn't really optional though . . . it's just the right way to run things. He can put a chorus or flanger after gain.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
    Put the Phase 90 in line before the dirt pedals.

You're welcome.
    While I understand what you say that, and don't disagree, this guy does not need to be confused by "options"

You saw what happened when he had 18 dirt pedal options.

walk before you run!

Leave a comment:

• Dudeman7
    replied
    Put the Phase 90 in line before the dirt pedals.

You're welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Oh yeah - if you want or need - you can put that Noise gate either at the end of the first row. EQ plus possible stacking might make that reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Gotta love a guy who gets right back up and gets in the ring again! The ring of fire....

So we have made a LOT of improvement here, but still have some issues...but we are a lot closer.

So let's discuss the positive changes:
    #1 Tuner first - nice
    #2 I like what you did with the EQ and the settings
    #3 Tum>OCD>KK as the front progressively bolder dirt line. Tune that Tumnus right and you'll get both a cool boost and additional stacked tones from the other two. Nice
    #4 Got rid of that Fender abomination of Chorus (although that is a great pedal line overall...)

- Generally, you are either like a subtle phase 45 / Chorus guy or a Phase 90 / Flanger guy. You kept the Phase 90, so bolder when you do swirl...

Now the issues... some old, some new, and some newly understood!

So, I see a lot less hair and fuzz and crap on the board - but since there is a lot more board to see, we still need to do a better job in that upper right hand area. How old are you? I feel like I'm telling my kid to get the leaves off the driveway for the second time because they don't understand English well enough to know what a driveway and what a leaf is!

Next...and we had this talk as well, tighten up those cables.we got some running low in the front, some down the middle, some going high. Put the brick in the upper right hand-ish corner. I do like the vertical placement. Just make the wires all come out to the left from the top right. This takes experience. You'll get it. Hopefully. Run all the power to the top for the swirls, and the top of the dirt. Use a little electrical tape to bundle. Neat neat neat!!!!!

Now, I do not know what those little solid metal pieces of crap that you are connecting the cables are for or from, and I don't care. I want those gone. Whoever got those for you does not love you. And I don't either so, lose them. Get rid of that straight connector between the MXR's too. I saw that! These are what is causing the Pedal Scoop or Pedals Flying In formation defect. Here is what we (and by we, I mean YOU) are gonna do:

1. Sell that Fender pedal. ~$120 used will move fast.
    2. By some more of those Flat patch cables like the Tumnus is using
    3. You need 6 or so of them. Make sure one is long enough to get from the Katz to the Swirls. Yes - I said SIX. Better make it 7....
    4. Patch all the pedals together so that: The bottom edge of the front row all touch the bottom of the board, and the bottom of the top row are all level with each other. I notice you didn't get a full sized HOF...fine. Baby steps - you did a lot here....not enough, but ok. For now.
    5. Go out and get three more flat patch cords. Yes I know I keep changing my number. It's early and I'm drinking half-cafe. Deal with it.
    6. Don't go out and buy those patch cords yet. I have a couple of other things for you to get down at the GC.

Now...And this goes completely counter to my earlier recommendation, but the quality of my advice is directly proportional to how clear your goals are. You obviously had none to begin with....

PUT THE EHX MISTRESS BACK ON THE BOARD, BEFORE THE PHASER. Here is why:

Since you kept the Phase 90 but not the Chorus, I'm calling it that you want to make a splash when you hit your modulation. You must have had a reason to have it there in the first place. Or maybe not. So what - find a reason now. What we have without it is something that looks like you are a half-@$$ed EVH fanboy. Instead of a decent Plate verb, you got the TC to tone print one. Instead of the Echoplex pedal, you got the Carbon Copy. Instead of an actual EVH Phase, you got a Standard Block one to hit while tapping Eruption. Of course you have all the wrong pedals fro brown sound. Whatever. So put the Mistress back, and you look a little more diverse, or you can have a half-@$$ version of the Flange on Ain't Talking' Bout Love. either way it goes back. I say before the Phase because since you took it off, I assume it won't be used often. Plus - you need to cover up some space.

A pedal board with a lot of empty spots says "I have great aspirations, but no cash" and the chics do not like that. Or you just don't plan well. Either way...spread the pedals out a little, toss another on there. Just not that fender Pedal. If I play my Fender Tre-Verb at night with the shades open, people on the street think the cops showed up the thing is so bright.

Now - remember the full size HOF (which has a plate setting right on the front in case of VH) - Either take the funds from hocking the chorus and also trade the mini HOF on the full size, OR...just in case you are not sure.....and keep the mini HOF, but also get a Mini Corona Chorus also from TC. You don't have to put it on the board, but you'll have it if you need it.
    - SO full size HOF at the end, or
    - Mini HOF at the end and a Mini Corona Chorus first, before the Mistress. Chorus, Flange Phase - good to go
    - But Definitely the Mistress and the Phase. Now we have a lean button swirl row going....

You are getting close on this, but still have a little ways to go.

Most important - aesthetic: Proper/identical patch cords, even pedals, fill the space, clean up debris, wire management

Then, some slight adjustment/readjustment to pedal choice.

Nice improvements round one. Lets try a little harder this time....

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    [QUOTE=Flores_68;n6141531]

He asked for it...

That is a lot of information to absorb and it would take some time and some money to adjust my pedalboard. However, I will be making some improvements over the weekend and will post my ‘new’pedalboard. Thanks for the tips!
    Yeah, this is one of my favorite threads as there is a delicate balance of information and pure comedy gold (and some misses of course) here that satisfies my insatiable need for a combination of hedonism and future gratification in every element of life.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Is that something like Full Sail?
    Oh man,.... nailed it! Full Sail jokes -even my friends who went there cant get enough of them!

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    I see we are now able to advise on visuals of how to set eq's and controls for optimum tone. How does one acquire these jedi tone skills to advise somebody what will sound good based on the rig, hands, desired tones, etc all by looking and without sound examples and without knowing specifically what the person is after sonically? I am impressed!
    Yes - sometimes. However - in this case, the guy has way bigger problems. Like the gentle curve of the actual pedals themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    [QUOTE=Flores_68;n6141531]

He asked for it...

That is a lot of information to absorb and it would take some time and some money to adjust my pedalboard. However, I will be making some improvements over the weekend and will post my ‘new’pedalboard. Thanks for the tips!
    If you post it in this thread, you will receive updated abuse - I mean feedback. I will suggest reading the entire 35 pages. Much mirth, and some pedal wisdom as well. Mostly flat out personal slamming. Highly entertaining if not informative.

Leave a comment:

• Flores_68
    replied
    Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

haahahahhaha
    [QUOTE=Aceman;n6141385]He asked for it...

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied

or enroll to become a internet keyboard tone Jedi.
    Is that something like Full Sail?

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    I see we are now able to advise on visuals of how to set eq's and controls for optimum tone. How does one acquire these jedi tone skills to advise somebody what will sound good based on the rig, hands, desired tones, etc all by looking and without sound examples and without knowing specifically what the person is after sonically? I am impressed!
    or enroll to become a internet keyboard tone Jedi.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied

He asked for an example

-calm down
    I'm always calm buttercup.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X