banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accept "Balls to the Wall" = Tubescreamer into Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accept "Balls to the Wall" = Tubescreamer into Marshall?

The rhythm guitar sound in the song "Balls to the Wall", is that a Tube Screamer into a Marshall?
    It sounds so good, but metal (even old school metal) isn't my thang so I don't know what makes it. Heard it again today and suddenly realized I might be hearing the TS into Marshall tone everybody talks about??
    my other two guesses are some other amp, or even a pedal. Anyone know?
    Last edited by Dave Locher; 01-29-2021, 08:17 PM.

Man, I LOVE that tune and have been playing it since it came out. My old memory says that it is simply a Marshall 800 cranked. He had some custom stuff though, and loud is key here. Wolf is not a big effect guy.

I can get that sound with a humbucker just about anything Marshall w/ Mids cranked. If you want to keep it quiet, use a screamer I guess.

I will say I usually would be playing a Duncan Distortion when doing that. Maybe I'll dig up an old guitar rag from then and see. I think he used a200 watt Marshall head, or two 100's or I forget exactly what. Like I said - I hear power tubes and mids, and that is about it. But how awesome is that sound for about anything ?!?!?!?!
    Last edited by Aceman; 01-30-2021, 07:35 AM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	gp4yn_MtIb13aGLBHFfghaiqbfHD0wg7jUSLQLtQO--KUdon_vUfJcy9y0mG3MUyLF3BmUDJk4T0ktZP8IcfxT7DcKe1EbEL-1mX_xp-up4EhA8Iu353vqxKVrPQlhuqbMQCBEUAww.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	6052607

No not a pedal.
      Wolf Hoffman's 100 watt JCM-800 was modded to 200 watts and some other stuff.
      I like that song too but that was 40 years ago.
      Iconic tones though.
      This amp was up for sale not long ago.
      Hoffman plays all kinds of stuff now.
      Axe FX/Wizards/Bogners you name it.
      You can cop those tones with an 800 & a TS, just depends how drunk & high the audience is whether they recognize it.
      Last edited by JMP/HBE; 01-30-2021, 12:27 PM.

Comment

There we go - a 100 watt modded to 200 watts.

Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I bet that amp ran hot.

Comment

Just Accept it!

Comment

That whole album is a masterpiece!
              https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                Click image for larger version Name:	gp4yn_MtIb13aGLBHFfghaiqbfHD0wg7jUSLQLtQO--KUdon_vUfJcy9y0mG3MUyLF3BmUDJk4T0ktZP8IcfxT7DcKe1EbEL-1mX_xp-up4EhA8Iu353vqxKVrPQlhuqbMQCBEUAww.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	6052607

No not a pedal.
                Iconic tones though.
                You can cop those tones with an 800 & a TS, just depends how drunk & high the audience is whether they recognize it.
                Did you post this the first time around when it was for sale? I remember reading about it here. Ridiculously 80s to mod a JCM800 for 200W!
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Did you post this the first time around when it was for sale? I remember reading about it here. Ridiculously 80s to mod a JCM800 for 200W!
                  Oh i don't know. Its been public info for a long time.
                  I first saw that pic in like 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                    That whole album is a masterpiece!
                    As far as I know this is the only Accept song I have ever heard.
                    A couple years ago I got a car with a really decent sound system and it has really opened my ears! Even with satellite radio I am hearing songs as if for the first time. And every time that song comes on I think "damn, what a sound!"

So if no pedals I guess I posted in the wrong forum. Did he use Duncan Distortions, or are you (Ace) just saying that's the right tonal ballpark?

Comment

You can hear the guitar tone very well in this example from that album.

Comment

And this example even better. I don't"know" what he's using, but it's heavenly.

People often take about getting famous guitar tones. EVH, Page, Lunch, RR, etc etc. If I ever chased a tone, it would be this one.

Last edited by 80's_Thrash_Metal; 01-31-2021, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                          Click image for larger version Name:	gp4yn_MtIb13aGLBHFfghaiqbfHD0wg7jUSLQLtQO--KUdon_vUfJcy9y0mG3MUyLF3BmUDJk4T0ktZP8IcfxT7DcKe1EbEL-1mX_xp-up4EhA8Iu353vqxKVrPQlhuqbMQCBEUAww.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	6052607

No not a pedal.
                          Iconic tones though.
                          Wow, I've never seen this before. Awesome.

Hard to believe they didn't need a fan on that sucker though.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I think LLL needs to do a how to video on how to get Wolf's tone in this album!
                            Can someone with some pull make that happen? Ha ha. I'm lowly and glossless.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post

As far as I know this is the only Accept song I have ever heard.
                              A couple years ago I got a car with a really decent sound system and it has really opened my ears! Even with satellite radio I am hearing songs as if for the first time. And every time that song comes on I think "damn, what a sound!"

So if no pedals I guess I posted in the wrong forum. Did he use Duncan Distortions, or are you (Ace) just saying that's the right tonal ballpark?
                              Im sure like any guitar player rack or pedals were involved but that was the main amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X