Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalinbread: RAH, Sabbra Cadabra, Katzenkönig

Hello,

Is it farfetched to assume that the KK falls somewhere between the RAH and the Sabbra Cadabra? From the descriptions I've read and the YouTube videos I've seen, I kind of made that assumption. I love the early Zep tone but I'm afraid that the RAH will be a one trick pony and I've read some reviews about it being bland. Does anyone have experience with these pedals?

falls between in what sense? it's been a while since i've played a RAH, but i have a SC and i think they are voiced fairly differently.
    Quality riffs in about a minute...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Is the KK the one that’s based on a Rat?

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
        falls between in what sense? it's been a while since i've played a RAH, but i have a SC and i think they are voiced fairly differently.
        I had the impression that they were all along the overdrive/fuzz territory. So much or You Tube videos...

Comment

In terms of actual gain the SC has more than the RAH, because it mimics a treble boost into an overdriven laney amp. not sure where the KK fits in. But tonally they are different.
          Quality riffs in about a minute...
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
            In terms of actual gain the SC has more than the RAH, because it mimics a treble boost into an overdriven laney amp. not sure where the KK fits in. But tonally they are different.
            Is the RAH bland?

Comment

Originally posted by Flores_68 View Post

Is the RAH bland?
              Bland? No but if the sound isn't what you are looking for it won't work...right? The pedals you mention are ranging from Laney to Hiwatt to old Marshall. All different sounds.

What specific tone type are you after? If I know that, I can help with some suggestions to save you some time and minimize the proverbial hoop jumping.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

The description pretty much tells you what it is - https://catalinbread.com/products/katzenkonig

Comment

The KK is not rally a RAT, as Rat pedals go. Rat-esque? Some Rat qualities maybe? It is not a Catalinbread Rat
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Bland? No but if the sound isn't what you are looking for it won't work...right? The pedals you mention are ranging from Laney to Hiwatt to old Marshall. All different sounds.

What specific tone type are you after? If I know that, I can help with some suggestions to save you some time and minimize the proverbial hoop jumping.
                    I have a few transparent overdrives (ts9, jhs @t, wampler tumnus) and I'm looking for a 'meatier' overdrive, but with a vintage tone. I want it for my Gibson LP, with Seth Lovers. The pedals above are fuller apparently, but I think the SC could be too much.

Comment

Here are a few wonderful pedals. I didn't know budget so I didn't list any outside the average cost range for these types of pedals. Check these out and if a certain flavor attracts your ears I can suggest more that are similar to your desired type. Good luck!

Carl Martin Plexi-Ranger
                      Friedman Smallbox Pedal
                      Friedman Dirty Shirley
                      Revv G2
                      Bogner La Grange
                      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                        Here are a few wonderful pedals. I didn't know budget so I didn't list any outside the average cost range for these types of pedals. Check these out and if a certain flavor attracts your ears I can suggest more that are similar to your desired type. Good luck!

Carl Martin Plexi-Ranger
                        Friedman Smallbox Pedal
                        Friedman Dirty Shirley
                        Revv G2
                        Bogner La Grange
                        Have you tried the Keeley El Rey Dorado?

Comment

Have you tried the Keeley El Rey Dorado?
                          I have not. For what you said was your interest, the ones I suggested are exceptional.

Comment

I have a few transparent overdrives (ts9, jhs @t, wampler tumnus) and I'm looking for a 'meatier' overdrive, but with a vintage tone. I want it for my Gibson LP, with Seth Lovers. The pedals above are fuller apparently, but I think the SC could be too much.
                            I would need to listen to clips of them again, but if you have time to check them out, the Supro Drive pedal and JHS Superbolt are pedals that are aimed at the Supro amp sound in a pedal.

Something like a JHS Charlie Brown or Wampler Plexi? If you Google “amp in a box roundup” there are some great rundowns.
                            Last edited by CaptainWhizz; 02-17-2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

The concept of he KK is Tone Bender + "RAT tail".
                              A fuzz with the part of a RAT circuit.
                              I really like the YT demo, but I haven't tried it yet.
                              It is supposed to eat Rats for breakfast KatzenKönig" is german for "King of cats"

The Sabbra Caddabra aims at replicating the Treble Booster + the Laney amp
                              If you don't want the one trick pony, their Naga Viper emulates the Treble Booster part only (But I don't know if it is Germanium or not ???)

RAH is Page's rig at Royal Albert Hall and supposed to clean up the same way.

Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Working...
                              X