Confessions of a Klon Centwhore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confessions of a Klon Centwhore

Well guys, it's 2021 and I JUST found out what a Klon Centaur is, the crushing realization that I can't get one, and that I need to have one so I can get more better at guitar. I was always an amp guy and only recently got into pedals at all. The Arion Tubulator collecting dust in the back of an old Yamaha amp in the closet for the last 15 years had been the extent of my pedal collection until recently.

So anyway I absolutely need a Klon because, well, you know. I decided late last night to use the most effective method of gear shopping I know how to use - you sort that MF by price, low to high, and buy the most expensive you can afford! Using this refined and proven tactic, I ended up with a Soul Food by Electro Harmonix.

My pedal will ship in the next few days and we're probably looking at like, idk, 6-7 days or so that I have to experience buyers remorse and/or look into what I purchased without any consultation or research. Hey, it was a Klon emergency, I'm sure you understand.

So how did I do? I will post my update when I receive the pedal. But really, anyone have a Soul Food, or just general Klon clone opinions? How badly do you need your Klon? Will I be able to toss my tube screamer off the board? Will I put it in front of my chain or in the middle?

Honestly guys, I just had a few hundred bucks to burn and thought I'd grab a couple toys. I am truly making a thread about this to let you all know how gullible I am - and to prime the pumps of excitement while I wait for my pedal to arrive. Any and all Klon discussion welcome. Tell me I'm a dumbass. Tell me I made a great decision. Tell me all about your own impulsivity issues (I happen to be a mental health counselor).
    "On another day of the week I might have a 24th fret but this is a grown ups guitar" - Guthrie Govan

The Soul Food is a worthy Klone, for a great price. I don't own a Klon, but have played one, I would direct you to either the RYRA Klone, or the J. Rockett Archer Ikon, BOTH of those pedals sound very close (if not identical) to the Klon Centaur.

Comment

the soul food is a damn fine overdrive, its kinda klon like but you can tell the difference. the j rocket archer is damn close to a real klon. enjoy your new toy!

Comment

I'm confused

Something called Soul Food is meant to be a KlonClone???

How the HELL did the manufacturer expect us to deduce that???
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

You will not be disappointed. Nor selling your kidneys...
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
            I'm confused

Something called Soul Food is meant to be a KlonClone???

How the HELL did the manufacturer expect us to deduce that???
            Yeah, I thought the same thing. Besides everyone on the internet just saying it is a Klone, they market it as a "transparent overdrive" which is one of those Klon buzzwords. They do talk all about the Klon on the product page on their website. But it's sure not plainly obvious from looking at it.
            "On another day of the week I might have a 24th fret but this is a grown ups guitar" - Guthrie Govan

Comment

I A/B'd a dozen clones..... JRocket Archer Ikon was my favorite, and I broke the jack on tour (my fault -not the pedal quality) -called Jay (he answers the phone BTW) and he sent me the parts the next day (would have repaired it if I wanted to send it to him in Colorado). My only point in typing this is if you want to feed the high quality smaller companies who make great pedals and are a wash in a sea of a red ocean market of cheap plastic import pedal models -JRockett is a good one to support and keep alive. But, don't get me wrong -the imports have their important place here too.

The Tumnus mini was my favorite mid priced one, and for inexpensive the -The Soul Food is good too.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I use a BYOC Silver Pony, which is apparently an accurate copy. It sounds great to me, and I built it! (You can buy one pre-built, too).
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I use a BYOC Silver Pony, which is apparently an accurate copy. It sounds great to me, and I built it! (You can buy one pre-built, too).
                  Oh cool, they are back in stock! -that company was out of most things for several months last year.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

If you're gonna do something in life and you're serious about it ("I need a Klon so I can get better on guitar") - as much as humanly possibly, go for broke.

If you can't go for broke, then get the next best thing.

Should have got a J. Rockett Archer IKON.

Better to get the more expensive item that actually delivers, versus buying the cheap one that's "OK", getting dissatisfied, selling it, then buying another cheap one that's "OK", getting dissatisfied with that one, selling that one, repeat ad infinitum...

Comment

Me too, it’s a great pedal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

While I'm generally of the opinion that, if you want The Thing, you should buy The Thing, rather than The Thing That's Like The Thing*, the Soul Food is a legit good pedal and I've never found price alone to be a great indictor of how much I'd like a given pedal.

*-there have been plenty of Things That Are Like Other Things that have become The Thing that I wanted, but that's neither here nor there.

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                        Better to get the more expensive item that actually delivers, versus buying the cheap one that's "OK", getting dissatisfied, selling it, then buying another cheap one that's "OK", getting dissatisfied with that one, selling that one, repeat ad infinitum...
                        ---------------------------
                        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                          While I'm generally of the opinion that, if you want The Thing, you should buy The Thing, rather than The Thing That's Like The Thing*, the Soul Food is a legit good pedal and I've never found price alone to be a great indictor of how much I'd like a given pedal.

*-there have been plenty of Things That Are Like Other Things that have become The Thing that I wanted, but that's neither here nor there.

I get that, but this is sort of a different case. There are Things That Are Like Other Things that sound identical. And it is silly to pay the collector prices these days. It isn't like wanting a Gibson V and 'settling' for the Epi.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Another great klone is the Mythical Overdrive from Rimrock. Sounds fabulous.
                            If you have the budget there's even a fine-tuned Vintage Spec version made with NOS parts.

Two minor considerations to be aware of:
                            It's slightly larger than an MXR (but the jacks ore top mount which saves some space).
                            No battery lead; it requires remote power (standard 9V)

Been very happy with mine for a number of years.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I think I spoke ineloquently. I guess my main point is that framing the Soul Food as a "cheap, but ok" alternative to, say, a Rockett Archer is, imo, a little off-base. It's straight up good, regardless of the price.

I get that, but this is sort of a different case. There are Things That Are Like Other Things that sound identical. And it is silly to pay the collector prices these days. It isn't like wanting a Gibson V and 'settling' for the Epi.
                              ---------------------------
                              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Working...
                              X