banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tube Screamer types- is there any reason not to have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Screamer types- is there any reason not to have one?

I don’t have any boost, overdrive, or distortion pedals (unless you count Big Muffs as distortion).
    Is there any reason not to pick up a Tube Screamer? I’m thinking either a TS Mini or an EHX East River Drive.
    I have space for one more pedal on my board, and thought an overdrive, boost, or EQ would be good, to hit the amp harder and sculpt the tone a little.

I'd say every guitarist should have one. But if it ends up on your board or not depends on if it is something you need for the music you are playing. I had never put pedals in front of me because I might use them- I would absolutely need them if they are going to end up there. My favorite TS pedals have more expanded tone controls, rather than just a single tone knob.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There are a few pedals you should own on principle. That's one of them.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I’ve seen/ heard so many examples of people using an always-on pedal to put more into the amp, getting a little more definition and sparkle, I guess that’s the main driver behind this.

Comment

I prefer the Boss SD-1, basically a TS with asymmetrical clipping. But yeah, some kind of overdrive is good to have around and most of them are a variation on the same feedback clipping circuit.

Comment

Things you can do with one:

1. Add gain for leads
            2. Add level for leads
            3. Add mids for leads
            4. Use as a line driver w/ mid boost
            5. Ad Gain and Level for leads
            6. Use a as a low volume mid gain practice tool.
            7. Add moderate dirt to a clean amp
            8. Push an amp that is overdriven already
            9. Use as an always on tone conditioner.
            10. un scoop / even out a scooped rhythm tone
            11. Goose a distortion or another Overdrive pedal with level

We can go on. You may prefer a Boss SD1 for all the same things.

Comment

What I think I’d use it most for would be to add some tone colouring, some high mids/ treble, as I love the dirt sounds from my amp, but it could have a little more sparkle.
              I run my channels as clean, rock, and metal, with my clean channel pretty crisp and bright, so the ability to push that into a mild crunch would be good.
              Plus, I have AMT B1 and P1 preamp pedals, so something that did the cliche “tube screamer into 5150” wouldn’t hurt either.

Comment

In that case, then sure. They are cheap and plentiful, and worth experimenting with adding them to the 3 channels you already have giving you 6 different ones.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Why not have one or a few? Heck, you can get an SD-1 new for under 50 bucks retail. It's a great pedal. Certain pedals work slightly better in certain situations and with certain amps and sounds etc but it makes sense to have a little color if needed.
                  The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                    Why not have one or a few? Heck, you can get an SD-1 new for under 50 bucks retail. It's a great pedal. Certain pedals work slightly better in certain situations and with certain amps and sounds etc but it makes sense to have a little color if needed.
                    I’m planning to have all my pedals (except my preamps, they’re going on a lightweight amp mini-board) on one board, so I think I only have space for one pedal. I figure I’d use something like a tube screamer more than expression pedals/ additional controls for something I already have.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                      I don’t have any boost, overdrive, or distortion pedals (unless you count Big Muffs as distortion).
                      Is there any reason not to pick up a Tube Screamer? I’m thinking either a TS Mini or an EHX East River Drive.
                      I have space for one more pedal on my board, and thought an overdrive, boost, or EQ would be good, to hit the amp harder and sculpt the tone a little.
                      What kind of music are you mostly playing? I think a mid hump gain pedal is never a bad idea -doesn't have to be a TS though -could be a MXR D+ of course -they are almost the same thing.

also a little klone or similar transparent boost may be preferred -as a Klone cranked to 3 oclock adds is kind of magic

or both -get a Tumnus Mini and a MIni TS! -winning at life!
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

What kind of music are you mostly playing? I think a mid hump gain pedal is never a bad idea -doesn't have to be a TS though -could be a MXR D+ of course -they are almost the same thing.
                        Specific of the circuits, no, not at all alike. Tonewise, they sound completely different to me, but YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

also a little klone or similar transparent boost may be preferred -as a Klone cranked to 3 oclock adds is kind of magic

or both -get a Tumnus Mini and a MIni TS! -winning at life!
                          Most often, I play pop-punk, stoner rock/ sludgy stuff, and southern hardcore.

My main amp is a Mesa Boogie Nomad, and I have a Katana Mini to play in the living room, plus Amplitube to play around with on my computer. But the pedalboard is more for the Nomad. Channel 1 is pushed-clean; 2 is for 70s-style rock; 3 is the tighter, more modern channel. Reverb built in, and a solo volume boost too.

Pedals are:

Polytune Dark
                          Whammy DT
                          Boss LS-2
                          -Crybaby in loop
                          -Rotovibe in loop
                          Bass Big Muf
                          Deluxe Big Muff
                          EHX Worm
                          Rubberneck in effects loop

As it’s a 2x12 and a bit heavy, I’m working on a lightweight alternative for when I play in places where there’s a cab to use and I don’t want to lug my Boogie.
                          Current leader for the setup is Orange Terror Stamp with AMT F1 and either AMT B1 or P1, set up to switch so I have the F1 as my clean, Terror Stamp as classic rock, and B1/P1 as my modern. But that’s not certain yet, and tone isn’t vital with this setup.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

Specific of the circuits, no, not at all alike. Tonewise, they sound completely different to me, but YMMV.
                            Yeah, all good points -I guess I mean they solve the same problem with doing a mid boost -honestly -I haven't used an actual D+ in decades -I don't have a great command of the differences form A to B -except using a Custom Badass -which is similar -but more broadband of a hump than a TS
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              In that case, then sure. They are cheap and plentiful, and worth experimenting with adding them to the 3 channels you already have giving you 6 different ones.
                              I don't know about 6 he LIKEs, but definitely can get a 4th, and maybe a 5th with careful dialing in...

Comment

Working...
                              X